coffee grinder as a grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
Would I be able to use my coffee grinder as a grain mill? It seems like it would work for me and save lots of $$ on a grain mill. I am only thinking of doing very small batches of grain.

Anyone every tried this? by my estimation it would only take a few batches through the grinder per pound.

Short answer - no

Longer answer - I guess it could depend on your grinder. The point of a grain mill is to crack open the grain. We want to expose as much of the endosperm as possible while keeping the hull as intact as possible. Thats why grain mills have 1, 2, 3 or 4 rollers that progressively crush the kernels between them. Coffee grinders on the other hand GRIND, not CRUSH. Blade grinders are obviously the worst. They just use a blade to pummel what ever is inside to oblivion. The only exception is chocolate or roasted barley. People will use a coffee grinder to grind a few oz of these black malts to add late in the mash so they dont extract too much of the acrid burnt flavors from the malt. Burr and Conical Burr grinders would be hit or miss. I don't think you would get a good crush unless you owned a $3000 + adjustable conical burr grinder.

yeah i neglected the search option. i normally use it but spaced it off this time.

Would I be able to use my coffee grinder as a grain mill? It seems like it would work for me and save lots of $$ on a grain mill. I am only thinking of doing very small batches of grain.

Anyone every tried this? by my estimation it would only take a few batches through the grinder per pound.

Regardless of what you've read here, yes you can I do it.
the short answer is YES, not no as im seeing.

Mine takes 2 handfull at a time, i hit the button, count to 10 and done.
for less fine, 5 seconds, 30 seconds makes a fine powder.

I've used my coffee grinder with wheat malt (no hulls to worry about!) and had good results. I stick with the barley crusher for barley, obviously.

I've also had good success with a rolling pin. When you show up at a friends to brew and realize your grain isn't crushed yet, it is time to improvise.

Latest posts

Back