consistently high OG readings...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolal22

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently started homebrewing and I'm on batch #2. I've been getting consistently high OG readings with my hydrometer. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with the recipes (they are kits, so I doubt it) or if I'm just taking the readings wrong. The FGs I've been getting seem to be about right, so what's the deal?

Batch 1 - American Pale Ale
OG - 1.056 theoretical, 1.078 measured
FG - 1.016 theoretical, 1.018 measured

Batch 2 - IPA
OG - 1.054 theoretical, 1.082 measured

I've taken both of my OG readings at ~70 degrees, right after I pitch the yeast. What do you think??

Thanks!
Alex

Hi Guys,

I recently started homebrewing and I'm on batch #2. I've been getting consistently high OG readings with my hydrometer. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with the recipes (they are kits, so I doubt it) or if I'm just taking the readings wrong. The FGs I've been getting seem to be about right, so what's the deal?

Batch 1 - American Pale Ale
OG - 1.056 theoretical, 1.078 measured
FG - 1.016 theoretical, 1.018 measured

Batch 2 - IPA
OG - 1.054 theoretical, 1.082 measured

I've taken both of my OG readings at ~70 degrees, right after I pitch the yeast. What do you think??

Thanks!
Alex
Most likely, you've got a bucket with a 5g line, thats really about 4g.

I guess that is possible, but I'm pretty sure I measured it out before just looking at the line on the bucket. If that's the case, should I add more water to my IPA that is in primary fermentation (2 days in)?

Is this extract? There also the probability that it wasn't well mixed.

This is what I was thinking. I assume that you took the gravity reading after topping off with water because you said you had already pitched your yeast. Even still, if you took the reading without thoroughly mixing the wort with the top off water you could get an inaccurate reading.

Yes it is from extract. Poor mixing is probably more of a possibility.

Should I swirl around my primary fermenter now (again, 2 days in)? Or will the fermenting yeast have done the trick by now?

Fermentation will mix it up, so just leave it be.

Unless you add too much or too little water you cannot miss your target OG on an extract kit.

I think you're definitely right about the mixing -- I just took another gravity reading and it came in at about 1.032 so I seriously doubt it started all the way up at 1.082

Latest posts

Back