Brewing Lagers In Corny Keg And Small Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
I'd REALLY like to get into brewing lagers. The primary issue right now is that I don't have a ton of places to keep things cool. I have a couple fridges but most are full and can really only be used to serve, not ferment or lager.

I did just come across a small chest freezer in the corner of my basement. It can fit two corny kegs (won't fit any "normal" shaped carboys). I also have at least 2-3 corny kegs that are in various states of completion. After pricing out replacement parts (some need literally everything) I'm thinking it'd be cheaper to use them as fermenters for lagers.

My question: am I thinking this through all the way? Is there anything I'm missing?

I'll have at least two corny kegs set up to ferment/lager in. The freezer holds two corny's (plus room for some smaller vessels, perhaps for blow off tubes, etc.). I do have a temp controller for the freezer.

I shouldn't have any issues doing everything in the single freezer, right? I can just adjust the temperature as needed for the various stages? Any other gear I'm forgetting? I'm still not 100% familiar with the lager brewing process, still reading through a bunch of articles and posts.

I don't think you'll have any problem fermenting in cornies, in a small freezer. I actually have a lager right now fermenting in a sankey in a small fridge, and I move it to my kegerator for the lagering step. Done it many times.:mug:

Lagers are not overly complicated....my typical lager involves fermentingat 50-55 degrees for between 20-25 days, then bringing the temp up to 65 for two days (diacetyl rest), then transfering in to keg and dropping temp to 39 degree for two months (Longer depending on style), and gassing it up at the same time. Biggest concern is being able to control the temp of your fridge freezer accurately.

Back