Beginning Brewer from Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spak

Reaction score
Hello there

Recently I have gotten a real interest in brewing my own. I have been sitting on a Mr Beer kit for well over a year now, unused. Last week I finally decided it is time to break it in. I went to the local Homebrew Supply shop and bought a second HME can for the kit, with some dextrose and a hydrometer and graduated cylinder.

I have watched way too many youtube videos in the past couple weeks about brewing so I'd say I am ready to brew my Mr. Beer kit in the next few days.

I have also been quite involved with craft beer since last may, already reviewing almost 200 unique beers, and blogging them on my beer review blog.

I am pretty excited to get this all started after seeing all of the recipes here on the forums and such. Cant wait to see how it turns out in 4-6 weeks! :mug:

I also got a copy of beersmith, and I hope to learn how to use it efficiently soon. I plan on doing small batches for now and see how it goes, as I will probably be one of the only people drinking my batches. I hope to go to some Homebrewers association meetings once I get a few batches under my belt

Hi and welcome to the community fellow Ohioan!

Sounds like you have big plans.... this is exciting. Keep us posted on all your batches and be sure to ask questions! =)

Cheers,

Chad

Welcome to the hobby :)

After brewing for 10 years, I'm just now doing all grain batches. Beersmith is an outstanding application for keeping records and helping organize on brew day. You picked a good one :) After you get a few mr. beer kits under your belt, definitely make the jump into equipment that can support 5+ gallon batches, so you can start doing your own hop additions and fine tuning your system. Even if it's just extract brews for a while, it's all good and you'll probably always find a use for those fermenting and bottling buckets down the road. I'm still using some of my original equipment on the all grain side. Good luck, have fun and again, welcome!

Cheers,
Mark

Welcome to HBT.

Finally another person from Massillon. I was wondering if I was the only one.

What Homebrew supply do you goto around here? Closest I have found was Grape and Granary in Akron.

If you ever have a question or need a hand let me know! :mug:

thanks everyone. I plan on this Wednesday :D

Welcome to HBT.

Finally another person from Massillon. I was wondering if I was the only one.

What Homebrew supply do you goto around here? Closest I have found was Grape and Granary in Akron.

If you ever have a question or need a hand let me know! :mug:

I went to GnG last week and got my stuff there. Portage Beverage off the corner of Wales and Portage apparently has a decent amount of homebrew supplies as well. I am going to compare prices to see which kit I want to get(carboy and bottling bucket included) I will also be definitely getting bombers and caps eventually, they are really cheap from GnG at $1 a bottle.

looks like they have a decent selection for being much closer than GnG, so possibly a nice quick visit will do.

http://www.portagebeverage.com

Welcome from Jackson Twp. Nice to see other beginners in the area. I have just brewed my second extract batch. Now, it's just patience :(

I bought both of my kits at Grape and Granary in Akron. I didn't know Portage Beverage had brewing stuff until a few days ago. I have to stop in there myself to see what they have.

Brian

Back