Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer White Girl Wasted - Milk Stout w/ Vanilla, Pumpkin Spice, and Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seandamnit

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
San Diego Super Yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Black as Sin
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days
Tasting Notes
Brings out your inner basic *****
Hey kids,

This is my first recipe that's entirely my own, and I'm really pleased with the result. Concept was pretty straight forward, I had the name before I even had a recipe: a Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Latte that'll keep you warm all winter. Tis the season for pumpkin spice everything, after all.

White Girl Wasted
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Grain:
12.5# - 2-Row
2.0# - Flaked Barley
1.5# - Pale Chocolate
0.5# - Roasted Barley
0.5# - Midnight Wheat

Hops:
0.8oz - Magnum (60min)
1.0oz - Golding (30min)

Extras:
1.0# - Lactose (10min)
2tsp - Pumpkin Spice (1min)
2 - Fresh Madagascar Vanilla Beans (7 days)
8oz - Medium Roast Coffee Beans (Cold Brew, Add at Bottling)

Used San Diego Super Yeast, but any clean yeast would do. Vanilla beans were cut up and soaked in vodka for 1 week before dumping the whole thing in the bucket. Coffee was coarsely ground and cold brewed, then added at bottling to taste. Also, you notice that I didn't add pumpkin to this...I don't feel that pumpkin contributes positively to a beer. Blasphemy, I know, but don't let my preferences stop you from adding it if you choose to give this a try.

My impressions:
Exactly what I was looking for. This thing just tastes like a cool Christmas morning. The vanilla and pumpkin spice compliment each other really well...I'm surprised I haven't seen any commercial examples using this combo yet...and the coffee brings it all together. I don't have the palate to tell you about all the subtleties going on here, but on a scale of "Not Good" to "Good", I'd give this a "Good".

What I'd like to do different next time:
--I was concerned with how powerful the coffee taste would be when competing with the spice and vanilla, so I decided to cold brew it and add at bottling to taste. Not a necessary step, next time I will steep the beans for 4 or so days in the beer directly.
--Add a little more pumpkin spice. It's subtle right now, and I'd like it to be a bit more obvious
--Split batch with and without coffee. Tasting at bottling convinced me that the vanilla and pumpkin spice combo alone deserves to be highlighted. I'd like to use this combo in more recipes as well...it's that good.

If this concept interests you enough to dedicate a brew day to it, let me know. Enjoy!

VEmiaSK.jpg

Nice recipe. I have something a little less strong in the hopper. I opted for vanilla extract instead of the beans. I'm curious to taste.

I'd be curious to try this one after I do up my first two batches this month. Gotta have a third to try and it should be done, if my planning is correct, right around new years. While I'm a complete n00b, the vanilla, pumpkin spice and coffee combo is right up this households' alley. Added to my list and I will report back in about 2 months on my experience brewing/drinking this.

From your notes, and the fact we love coffee stout (and coffee stout beers), thinking of the following:

• 3-3.5tsp pumpkin spice because that's key in this house, may even go up 1tsp into a secondary if tastes of first are lower than expected.
  • med-dark (not too dark roast but more than a med. roast) roast coffee beans 4-6 days directly in the beer
  • 3 vanilla beans to bring up the vanilla

Basically all the flavors this house loves in one. We've had coffee stouts, pumpkin spice stouts, milk stouts but never all in one and this sounds like a good one.

Looks good, I'll give it a go in a few weeks. Noob question but the coffee beans.... just toss whole beans in? no grinding?

I'm going to refer you to the founder's breakfast stout thread, there is plenty of debate on when and how to add your coffee addition. I prefer grounds at flame out in a bag, but some claim it's too harsh of coffee flavor.

I brewed a beer with the same name with the same concept last October. My recipe was quite a bit different, but it turned out pretty well. I love the idea, and all my friends thought it was hilarious and delicious.

My recipe was as follows,

Grain Bill:
3# 2-row
3# 6-row
1# Brown malt
4 oz Black patent
8 oz chocolate wheat
8 oz carafa II

Hops:
.5 oz Nugget @ 60 min
.5 oz EKG @ 10 min

Yeast:
Irish Ale #1084

Extras:
1# Brown Sugar(10 min)
1# Lactose (10 min)
2 pie pumpkins (~60 oz) roasted and added to the mash
1.5 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
5 tbsp Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder (boil 5 min)
4 oz cocoa nibs (secondary)
16 oz fresh brewed espresso in the keg

Cheers:mug:

Back