Bottle Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timironi

Reaction score
Heya

I bottled my Cooper's Irish Stout kit yesterday, but after 24 hours the bottles are already rock hard and carbonated well. Should I open the bottles to release some pressure? It seems like that was a bit fast...

When you say rock hard, what do you mean? Does this mean when you open one, it goes "Pssssssst"? Ok I re-read your post...well carbonated at 24 hours sounds scary. Test one in a day or two and see if it gushes out. If it does, you'll need to gently pry up (without crinking the cap) and release the excessive carbonation. In the future, it is best to test your final gravity with a hydrometer before bottling.

Yeah, I have plastic PET bottles from my Coopers Microbrew kit that im using

edit:
In the future, it is best to test your final gravity with a hydrometer before bottling.
I left it in the primary for 2 weeks :(

Ive never bottled with plastic before, but I imagine it really doesnt take alot of pressure to make the bottle feel hard. Also the risk of a bottle bomb with plastic **may** be reduced due to the strength of the plastic, but some of the more educated folk on this list would probably provide a better answer.

At this point I think it would be a good idea to get them all in the fridge if you've opened one and it's at the carbonation level you like, that way even if there is some more sugar to consume the yeast will go dormant

Wow, that's actually a really good idea that didn't even cross my mind. Thanks! :mug:

I can't imagine it only taking 24 hours to carb...I have beer that I've opened after a week and it's still not totally carbed....

I had a batch that took over 3 weeks and one that wasn't even close after almost a month. It's just to chilly in my basement, so I took 'em upstairs and less than a week later they were all good. But one day sounds pretty incredible. How much priming sugar?

A teaspoon as rounded and filled to capacity as I could make it (You know, one of those measuring spoons), for a 740ml bottle. I suppose fermentation wasn't done yet? Although, this is like my 6th batch and they're usually done in a week... Can't forget the trusty hydrometer I guess.

Back