First Recipe-Need some critics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich_F

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to homebrewtalk, and brewing in general! I have made 3 batches so far and I'm really liking the hobby! I want to try and make my own recipe and I need some advice/critiquing of my recipe...

Oatmeal Stout

American 2 row pale 7lbs
Briess DME Dark 1lbs
Black Malt .5lbs
Chocolate malt .5lbs
Caramel wheat malt 10oz
Flaked Oats 1lb

Fuggles (usa) hops 1.5oz 60min

WLP002 for yeast

expected og 1.060
expected fg 1.017
expected avb 5.67%

Srm 35.16
ibu 29

I'm pretty sure i'm within the parameters for all of the bjcp's outlines for an oatmeal stout...but if anyone has any advice/ ingredient changes let me know!!

I think I'd sub out the dark dme and just use light. Add your color with your darker roasted malts. This gives you more control over your color and flavor. Since you are already mashing, this doesn't take any more work, but will yield better beer and make it easier to replicate in the future.

So I will replace the dark dme with a light one...any other suggestions? Should I add anything else? or adjust the amount of anything I'm using?

It seems like you did a lot of work to make your own recipe. My advice is don't use your own recipe. Buy a kit or use a known good recipe for oatmeal stout. Then start tweaking the recipe. This will make your life easier.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=oatmeal+stout+kit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a"]Oatmeal stout kit[/ame]

BYO Oatmeal Stout recipe

I'm always one for a challenge though, or a learning experience! :)

Then you have found the right hobby. There will be plenty of challenges and learning opportunities, so take it easy whenever you have the chance... It still won't be easy.

I agree with using the light extract but otherwise I say go for it. You're not doing anything crazy there, why not try your hand at making a recipe?

:mug:

Back