Can I keg my nut brown ale yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudmunsn

Reaction score
So I'm making a nut brown ale, with the following ingredients:

6 lbs light malt syrup
1 lb dark brown sugar
1 cup molasses
1/4 lb crystal 80L malt
1/2 lb belgian caramunich

2 oz kent golding
1338 european ale liquid yeast.

It started out at 1.058 OG on may 7th. On May 16, it was at 1.028, and today, may 19, it is at 1.022. It's been exactly 12 days since I started brewing it, and I am going to have some people over on saturday. I know I can force carb the beer in a day or two, but I am hesitant to do that in case the beer needs to ferment further (down to 1.016 or 1.012).

Has anyone else made a brew similar to this, and did it finish up around my current gravity reading, 1.022? If so, could I safely keg this beer and get it on the tap, or am I asking for trouble and bad tasting beer by rushing it?

Thanks!

It started out at 1.058 OG on may 7th. On May 16, it was at 1.028, and today, may 19, it is at 1.022. It's been exactly 12 days since I started brewing it, and I am going to have some people over on saturday. I know I can force carb the beer in a day or two, but I am hesitant to do that in case the beer needs to ferment further (down to 1.016 or 1.012).

Has anyone else made a brew similar to this, and did it finish up around my current gravity reading, 1.022? If so, could I safely keg this beer and get it on the tap, or am I asking for trouble and bad tasting beer by rushing it?

Thanks!

Safe, yes. But I'd probably leave it. Your gravity is still falling. Ideally, you should have the same reading for 3 days. @ 1.022, your beer may be a little too sweet. Give it time, and you'll be rewarded.

Good luck either route you choose!

Back