Willamette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
What's Willamette good in? Any commercial examples available? I know they're related to Fuggles, and I've read what I can find on the Internet, but I just don't know much else about them.

How about aroma in a APA? Or since they're related to Fuggles, would they be more appropriate in a bitter?

I have them in a Holiday Spice ale (The Pol's recipe). I love the smell so much I bought a lb (2008 is $7/lb right now, and the bag came in well over a lb))

I am thinking bitters for sure!

Ya I do not totally agree with there list. Just like everything on the internet do you really believe it? Willamettes in Bud I have heard this before but they did say how much.... like a pellet per barrel...lol

We adopted a husky mix and named her Willa so SWMBO said I had to brew something that had her namesake hops in it. I ended up using them for flavoring and dry hopping in my 'Welcome Willa Porter". First time using them but love the aroma and unique flavor.

I'm a big 'C'/Amarillo hop fan, so using noble hop (or at least an off-shoot of a noble hop) is a nice change of pace.

That's a cool database....

Willamettes in Bud and Michelob?

I believe that was correct until recently. One of the explanations I've heard for the rock bottom prices of Willamette right now is that AB just quit using them. Combined with a good harvest, the market is flooded with them right now.

I think they're similar to Fuggles, but more floral and less earthy. Maybe they're sort of in between Fuggles (earthy) and Kent Goldings (floral) in the English hop spectrum?

Yeah I don't think they're quite as florally pungent as Fuggles are. A little more piney too. I think they're a cool hop to use in an American brown ale - you get something of an English character in an American fashion.

They're used in Big Sky's Moose Drool Brown Ale... delicious.

I've tried them in two different American ales and didn't care for them. Just not enough flavor character for the American pales/ambers in my opinion.

I think they'd do fine in earthy/roasty/chocolaty beers though - English Browns, etc...

LOL, Budweiser apparently has Cascades, Cluster, Willamette, Saaz, Spalt and Tettnanger. No way that is true.

I recently made an APA with willamette/centennial hops... the schedule went like this:

Can't remember the OG... it was Jamil's grain bill.
1oz magnum (60min)
.5oz willamette (15min)
.5oz centennial (15min)
.5oz willamette (5min)
.5oz centennial (5min)

It turned out really really well IMO. If I had to do it again, I would probably dry hop with .25oz of each, maybe even .5oz of each.

I also used them recently in an APA alongside some cascade. It was a similar fashion as the above poster only more in the 15 minute and a FO addition as well as both dry hopped. It turned out really good as well. It seems to mesh really well with cascade, My grist was something like 75% 2 row, 15% vienna, 6% crystal, 4% victory. I used the same grainbill in a previous version except hopped with cascade/amarillo (same schedule) and compared side I actually preferred the cascade/williamette combo. The funny thing is, a lot of people who have tried it, loved it but didn't care for the other that used all c-hops.

I also currently have them in a stout and brown, both are great uses of them IMO.

Back