Pee Test....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
So, after 6 years of working for the same company, said company was sold 3 months ago. Anyway, last Thursday (10/24) the new owners decided there wasn't enough business and let me and another employee go. I celebrated by drinking my bottle of Rogue IIPA Thursday night. Anyways, a buddy of mine tells me to apply where he works, so Monday I go there and apply. The job pays a little bit less than what I was making, but I won't be on call one week a month anymore, and I won't be doing refrigeration repair like I've been doing, so I won't need to spend anything on tools, supplies, ect.

They do a pee test. Does anybody know if they check for alcohol? I've refrained from drinking since Sunday, but I really need a beer.....

Allan

Haha I don't THINK they check for alchohol but I could be wrong...

If you haven't drank since Sunday I think you'll probubly be cool bc I know Mrs. Jane leaves you alone after 2wks :D

Good luck with the new job!

Testing for drugs is not cheap. Every additional drug you test for is extra $. I doubt the company really gives a sheet if you drink. Much less worry about spending money to find out.

Unless it's a LDS owned company I assume that alcohol consumption off the clock is fine, after all it's a perfectly legal practice. I'm also sure that you don't want to show up buzzed for the first day of work, as that might reflect poorly on someone's TPS report or something. Don't get wasted the night before and you'll be fine.

Alamo_Beer said:
Haha I don't THINK they check for alchohol but I could be wrong...

If you haven't drank since Sunday I think you'll probubly be cool bc I know Mrs. Jane leaves you alone after 2wks :D

Good luck with the new job!

Depends on the test. GC/MS or hair testing can go back months and months.

Alcohol will leave the system in about 24 hours or so.

MANY a piss test after a night of drinking. Just make sure that your first piss of the day after drinking is NOT the one in the cup ;) 1 hour per beer to wear off....you will be fine

Ó Flannagáin said:
How old are you?

Dunno why you ask, but I'll be turning 44 years old this month.

The job will be a courier position, be driving all night. I called today, they got to get the app back from their HR department before they can interview and schedule the test. He said it might be next week sometime before I hear back from them.

Allan

No, they don't. Only drugs. In fact, the last one I took (~3 yrs ago), they swabbed it onto some sort of paper and looked at the test results right then and there. I'd barely finished washing my hands!

If you go take the test intoxicated, or drink heavy the night before - it will come out in certain tests - no way to know unless you read the Rx. Especially if its a job where you will be on the road and putting the company at risk.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/alcohol/alcohol_testing.shtml

I'd drink since it doesn't stay in the system long at all, but I wouldn't the day of or the night before...

google for "drug test alcohol" minus quotes.

howlinowl said:
Dunno why you ask, but I'll be turning 44 years old this month.

The job will be a courier position, be driving all night. I called today, they got to get the app back from their HR department before they can interview and schedule the test. He said it might be next week sometime before I hear back from them.

Allan

I ask, because if you are over 21, you have every right to drink on your personal time and I see no reason why someone would test for it.

ma2brew said:
Unless it's a LDS owned company I assume that alcohol consumption off the clock is fine, after all it's a perfectly legal practice. I'm also sure that you don't want to show up buzzed for the first day of work, as that might reflect poorly on someone's TPS report or something. Don't get wasted the night before and you'll be fine.

Oh there are plenty of companies that don't want you drinking at all while under their employ *cough*Franklin Covey Chick-fil-a*cough* that are Mormon run. They even go so far as to put it in their employee handbook. And to specify, it's not that they say no drinking on the job, they say no drinking AT ALL otherwise it's grounds for dismissal. I really don't know how they can get away with it, but they do.

Also, Parole Officers can order alcohol testing and find out if you've been drinking up to about 5 days previously. Granted, I'm pretty sure that's a blood test and it costs money. So I wouldn't worry about drinking before you're pee test unless you're drunk when you pee ;)

eviltwinofjoni said:
Oh there are plenty of companies that don't want you drinking at all while under their employ *cough*Franklin Covey Chick-fil-a*cough* that are Mormon run. They even go so far as to put it in their employee handbook. And to specify, it's not that they say no drinking on the job, they say no drinking AT ALL otherwise it's grounds for dismissal. I really don't know how they can get away with it, but they do.

They can get away with it because it's well within their rights. You don't have to work for the company and it's not a govt./federal agency. There's a company, health insurance, in Detroit that made news a few years ago by requiring all employees to be 100% smoke free. People that weren't were dismissed.

I'm an ER nuse in a ghetto hospital in the city. I see a lot of drunks. Our lab uses a point system where every 100 points is equivalant to .1 on a roadside breathalizer. So if I say you have a BAL of 80 that would equate to .8 and you better hope that there isn't a cop standing next to you when you get the news. Your BAL (Blood alcohol level) goes down about 25 points per hour. That is a generalization based on a gazillion factors but it's about right. That is the standard the we use to determine if someone is safe to go home once they end up on our door. (If they are legaly intoxicated and we let them go and they cause harm to themself or someone else, we are liable.) So for example, some guy shows up with a BAL of 250 we own him for 7 hours, until his level is below 80. He can't leave and we will stop him if he attempts to.

Urine tests show positive or negative for ethanol. Not amount. I can't tell you how long a positive stays positive for. All it tests for is the presence of ethanol. I'd guess it will lag along behind for a few hours until your kidneys filter out the last of the ethanol in your blood and convert it into urine and you pee it away. It's a very crude test.

IV Amendment to the Constitution
The Right of the people to be secure in their persons,houses, papers and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated,and no warrants shall be issued but upon probable cause ...
Why have americans become so afraid to stand up for their rights ? Debt is slavery so maybe thats the answer . Free Man here some Im a little biased

JohnBarleycorn said:
IV Amendment to the Constitution
The Right of the people to be secure in their persons,houses, papers and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated,and no warrants shall be issued but upon probable cause ...
Why have americans become so afraid to stand up for their rights ? Debt is slavery so maybe thats the answer . Free Man here some Im a little biased

Irrelevant in this case.

You are not being forced to take the test, you are just being told "If you don't take the test, then you don't get the job". There are no rights being violated.

They do sometimes test for alcohol, because if you're drunk for your drug test then you're probably going to be a problem.

However, just don't drink the night before. Don't show up hung over. And - most importantly - take a multivitamin and drink a gallon of water or more. They test for color, which the vitamin will provide.

I've taken a numer of these tests when I was teaching. You have nothing to worry about. They're most likely checking for pot, meth, and coke. That's what most of these drug tests test for. If you're clean from these three ( and it sounds like you are ) you have nothing to worry about.

Once it clears your blood, it shouldn't show up in your urine very long after that. In general, your blood can clear a 12 oz. 3.2 beer in an hour.

At my job, I get a "free physical" plus blood and urine testing because they want to check for work place exposure to chemicals. They say they don't check for drugs or alcohol, but I always assume they do.

Edit: I just surfed a cannibis webpage that was talking about this. It says when they do a pee test for it, they don't test for alcohol. They test for an enzyme that is produce when alcohol is drank. The enzyme can show up from one drink for 8 - 12 hours, but as long as 20 hours.

But the test is very expensive to do. So they probably wouldn't test you for it unless they already thought you were an alcoholic.

Brew Runner said:
I've heard about potheads worrying about drug tests...but this is nuts.
If you can't stay dry for 36 hours, you might have other problems. :drunk:

I have no problem staying dry for more than 36 hrs. Actually haven't had anything to drink now for 6 days. My last job, I was on 24 hr. call for a week at a time every 4 weeks and wouldn't have any during that whole week.

The only problem now is that I'm freakin' bored as hell waiting for this to come through, and I got a kegerator full of beer...and I'd hate for them to spring the pee test on me on a day after I had a few.

Allan

rule of thumb for most pilots is that they can't fly when they have been drinking in the last 12 hours. So, if they have 36 hours in munich, they may get off the plane drink a few and stop drinking a day before they have to go back to work. These re guys that have regular random tests. You should not be concerned in the least about a piss test and alcohol unless you just drank a few. If you do that, well... 'nough said :)

The result of the test depends entirely on how many times a person has smoked and for how long. I used to have a thc calculator, and if you only like 2-3 times it really does go away rather quickly. If you are a regular smoker, you may want to consider a more serious detox like here
Just pointing out two important facts gathered from reading the initial post:
1 - the thread topic was asking if alcohol is tested during a urine test. No thc in etoh.
2 - this question was asked in Nov of 2007, I think the alcohol may have cleared his system 11.75 years ago.

This is some funny stuff! How did an 11 yo thread come up? The one. Guy saying about the saliva test ..... pretty common now, I know home depot uses that But I can't remeber if they send it out or get results on the spot.
This kinda crap is why I work for myself. And I don't use anything but beer/whiskey .

I'll bet he replenished more than a few times.
I have to own my math error, it has only been 11.25 years. I apologize for representing a 135 month old thread as a 141 month old thread. You all deserve better and I will work hard to be more reliable in the future.

And yes, undoubtedly replenished his etoh supply many times over since the original post.

I dont do drugs of any kind...weed...nothing....but I have...I have friends that want to take an occasional poke while drinkin at a friends house on a saturday and cant even enjoy it because they worry about a test a week later...that to me is pure insanity. I've never had a job that drug tested and cant imagine worrying about that crap

Back