Is a starter "thick or thin" in Mr Malty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
Just started washing yeast and making starters so I am looking on Mr Malty to figure out how much to pitch.

I washed some yeast and canned it in a normal mason jar. There is about 3/16 of compacted yeast after crashing.

I put this in a 1 liter starter at 1.040 for 24 hours before brewing.

I am brewing a 3 gallon batch so I used the calculator to figure out how much to pitch, I am sure I dont need all of it. I will shake up the starter and pitch the quantity that the calculator gives me, the rest I will save for later.

The calculator asks if it is thin or thick slurry. What is a "shaken" 1 liter starter considered? Do I just leave the default setting and RDWHAHB?

The slurry calculator shows how much of the thick pasty yeast from a pervious fermentation to pitch directly into a new batch. You've made a starter so you'll need to work it out using the starter calculator.

Alternatively you could chill the starter overnight, decant the liquid and you'll be left with a "thick" slurry which you could measure or weigh.

The slurry calculator shows how much of the thick pasty yeast from a pervious fermentation to pitch directly into a new batch. You've made a starter so you'll need to work it out using the starter calculator.

Alternatively you could chill the starter overnight, decant the liquid and you'll be left with a "thick" slurry which you could measure or weigh.

+1. Cold crash it and estimate the volume. Only real way to tell how much yeast you have.

Back