Temp Control until 90% FG okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psubrewer

Reaction score
Lets say I make a beer using a neutral yeast such as US-05 and I'm only able to control the ferm temps until ~80% of my expected FG is reached. At that point the beer would be taken out of the ferm chamber and into my basement, which can reach 75F ambient temp during the summer months.

What would be the drawbacks to this approach? I think that most of the esters/fusels type off flavors are created early in fermentation, so this shouldn't be a problem.

The Yeast book I just read said that once 75% of the fermentation is done you can and should raise the temp about 5 degrees to keep the yeast active so they fully attenuate and clean up diacetal and other fermentation by-products. Fusels and esters shouldn't be a problem after the first few days of fermentation.

I think it depends on what style you're brewing. For example, a Saison would be a good style to let go & ramp up temp like that. Good thing is, you at least controlled the majority of process @ ~80%, however it would be better to go all the way...

I think it depends on what style you're brewing. For example, a Saison would be a good style to let go & ramp up temp like that. Good thing is, you at least controlled the majority of process @ ~80%, however it would be better to go all the way...

I ramp ferment all my beers regardless of style. For ales, it's usually a fixed low temp for 3 full days and then I set the controller 2F higher each day for 3 days or until I hit 70F. I used to have occasional diacetyl problems until I did this.

Bobby_M said:
I ramp ferment all my beers regardless of style. For ales, it's usually a fixed low temp for 3 full days and then I set the controller 2F higher each day for 3 days or until I hit 70F. I used to have occasional diacetyl problems until I did this.

Which I think is great! However, you're still controlling the temp as you slowly ramp it up. However, he wants to just let it go (with possible swinging temperatures I assume).

Which I think is great! However, you're still controlling the temp as you slowly ramp it up. However, he wants to just let it go (with possible swinging temperatures I assume).

Doesn't matter after initial fermentation is complete. 5 gallons of liquid isn't going to change temps that fast and if he's only talking about a few degrees it won't hurt anything. He's talking about letting it go to room temp after 75% of fermentation is already complete, so I really don't think it's an issue and will probably actually be good for the beer.

Back