I may have just dripped tap water from the airlock into the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbowler

Reaction score
tucking it into it's shelf required more bending of the airlock than I planned.

Airlock was FULLY sanitized but filled with tap water.

any worries?

pbowler said:
tucking it into it's shelf required more bending of the airlock than I planned.

Airlock was FULLY sanitized but filled with tap water.

any worries?

RDWHAHB :mug:

It's probably fine. I've had tap water spray into my brew pot because the line blew off of the immersion chiller. Still no infections.

Unless your tap water is undrinkable, you'll be fine. I only boil 3 gals and add directly to 2 gals tap water and my beer tastes great.

Forget about it, any problems are extremely unlikely.

phew!

I felt like an ass after hours of sanitizing and strict temp control, having a hasty storage maneuver like that infect me would have made me nuts.

In college I used to cool the 2 gallon wort with 3 gallons from the shower!!!
then again 2 out of 3 beers were undrinkable (no temp control 80f+ ferment temps)
good times...

Don't listen to these unworry-worts! You've most likely ruined your entire batch. Fortunately, I have a good use for ruined beer. So, just you go ahead and let it go through secondary, bottle it, and send it my way. I'll put it to good use. ;)

Evan! said:
Don't listen to these unworry-worts! You've most likely ruined your entire batch. Fortunately, I have a good use for ruined beer. So, just you go ahead and let it go through secondary, bottle it, and send it my way. I'll put it to good use. ;)

oh no!, well at least you have a use for it...

The Czechvar is in the mail...

soooo, I'm getting that tap water is fairly bacteria free, it must have enough chlorine in it now that I think of it...

The thing that might scare me about that situation is if the water had been sitting in the airlock for a few days and had stuff bubbling through it for a while. But no worries on brew day.

good point, I've heard of infections climbing up blow off lines so that's what had me worried, but that is probably more like the situation you describe.

BTW, she's Krausen and Bubblin' as we speak

Back