wort starter for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericm

Reaction score
I have a fairly large amount of ~1.040 wort in my freezer (leftover from a much higher-than-expected efficiency when experimenting with brew-in-a-bag); is it a bad idea to use this for growing up a starter of wyeast 4766?

I know that with beer, it's a bad idea to make a starter with lots of simple sugars, as the yeast don't produce the correct enzymes for breaking down malt sugars, but does the same thing hold true in this situation (which is sorta like in reverse, I guess - malt sugars in the starter, simple sugars in the cider)

should I just use cider for the starter?

I always just rehydrate the yeast, but if you are making a starter I think you should use the same juice it is going into. Either way you should rehydrate before making the starter, yeast gets a shock from going straight into juice.

I've never used a starter for cider, always dry yeast, what kind of yeast are you using?
wyeast 4766

I've always used dry yeast in the past for ciders as well but I wanted to give this one a try

Back