Best way to eliminate that nasty twang?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
In my last beer I bottled (APA) had what I suspect to be twang (tastes like the LME). I did a 2.5 gal boil in a 3 gal kettle, and beer has aged for 3 weeks. I know I need to let it age longer but will that do anything with that twang taste.

I am planning on upgrading to a 5 gal kettle for my next brew, will that help out by not having as much as a concentrated boil? I am eventually going to get another 5 gal kettle so I can use Deathbrewers method of stovetop all grain.

It will most definitely mellow. Three weeks in the bottle is the bare minimum for drinking a beer - if you have something else handy, let this sit for two or three more weeks, and then try again. The difference will knock your socks off.

Remember, the best bottle in any batch of ale is always the last one.

Letting your beers condition...

Doing a full volume boil

Using late extract addition

Switching to DME instead of LME

Using the freshest LME possible.

If you search those terms you will find plenty of in depth information on EACH of those topics...but those are the basic keys to good extract beers....

Back