Looking to make a chocolate, rye, holiday-ish stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for the grain bill for my chocolate-rye-spiced holiday stout? I want the rye and spices to have a noticable, yet not overpowering quality. i.e., I want you to taste the chocolate stout first, and then notice the rye and spice.

This is what I'm thinking:

10 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs crystal 10
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb rye malt
1 lb flaked oats
8 oz cocoa (60 min)
dried orange peel from 3-4 oranges (20 min)
3-4 cinnamon sticks (15 min)
1/2 oz fuggles (60)
1/2 oz fuggles (30)

WLP005 British Ale Yeast

Primary for 2 weeks, bottle and condition for 2-3 weeks before serving.

Thanks for the help! BTW, I'm intentionally leaving out lactose. I am trying to get smoothness without it via the oatmeal.

Your recipe looks like a solid spiced/chocolate porter to me. Rye isn't a very strong flavor though, so if you want to taste it through the chocolate and spices you'll have to increase it considerably (3+ lbs I'd say).

I like adding the spices later, adding early on is fine if you want a really integrated spice character (like in a Belgian beer). In my opinion the way to incorporate spices into a "holiday" beer is to add them either to the fermenter after primary fermentation is over or as a tea at bottling. That way heat and CO2 don't drive off the delicate aromatics.

For chocolate I like to make a paste with the cocoa powder and some hot water to add to primary after fermentation is over. Works for me, again adding early will drive off the aromatics. Some vanilla also helps to bring out the chocolate flavor since almost all chocolate desserts also contain vanilla.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Back