Sugar syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mworkman

Reaction score
My recipe calls for 3/4 cup of corn sugar in 1/2 cup water then boil. This doesn't seem like much water to me. Should I follow the recipe or use more water? I will be bottling today. I just got everything sanatized. :mug:

yeah thats not very much water...its not something that rally needs to be measured, but i would use at least a pint.(2 cups) You should boil for ten minutes or so, which will boil off some water...1/2 c. must be a missprint...

I usually use a litte more water, like 3/4 - 1 cup, but all it has to do is dissolve the water so if 1/2 cup works then it should be fine.

Do you boil the water first and then add the sugar? Or just boil sugar and water together?

I usually start with hot tap water, add corn sugar, stirr to dissolve, then boil. Just in case there's any nastiness in the corn sugar.

just put the water in the kettle and add the sugar, add heat and stir untill desolved. Bring to a boil and maintain for 10 min.

im curious about your 'directions' 3/4 c. is 5 ounces and 1/2 c. is 4 ounces, so that doesnt seem like it would make a very 'aquies' solution...

its exactly enough sugar...im just doubting the half c. h2o thing, it just seems odd you would mix more sugar than water. (the whole deal with solutions is that you have a solvent, h2o, and a solute, sugar)

Ivan Lendl said:
its exactly enough sugar...im just doubting the half c. h2o thing, it just seems odd you would mix more sugar than water. (the whole deal with solutions is that you have a solvent, h2o, and a solute, sugar)

That's what I thought. I ended up using 1 1/2 cups water so it should go ok.

The recipe was from the St. Louis Wine and Beer making kit I had.

maybe they think you have liquid corn sugar...as long as you have some kind of liquid you can boil thats main thing...i dont even measure it, i just use a pint glass. (wait that is ameasurment...)

mworkman said:
My recipe calls for 3/4 cup of corn sugar in 1/2 cup water then boil. This doesn't seem like much water to me. Should I follow the recipe or use more water? I will be bottling today. I just got everything sanatized. :mug:
Yes, this is correct. That is how to make a simple syrup. More sugar than water. Don't worry it all goes into solution. :mug:

Latest posts

Back