Accidentally siphoned into 5 gallon carboy.. Do I need to use less of the clarifiers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarshman

Reaction score
Long time brewer, first time wine-maker... stupidly grabbed the 5-gallon carboy out of the closet instead of the 6 when it was time to transfer out of primary. Didn't realize it until I was halfway done... Now its time to add clarifiers. My question is this: do I need to use less of the clarifiers provided in the wine kit since there is only 5 gallons of wine instead of 6? Does it matter? or should I just continue as normal and use it all? Thanks in advance! (I feel dumb)

I'd say it doesn't matter. Although can you move it to the 6? or are you just going to bottle off the 1 gallon that didn't fit (I'm assuming 6 gal kit).

The point of the clearifiers is to grab the yeast and other suspended particulates and drop them out.

well at the time the 6 gallon carboy had some beer fermenting in it, so when i realized what happened i kinda just said "ah well, i guess i'll just make 5 gallons of wine instead of 6" and dumped the rest.

now that its a few weeks later and time to add clarifiers, it occurred to me that maybe the packets in the wine kit were specifically designed to be dumped into 6 gallons of wine and that it may cause issues dumping into only 5.

i'm hoping that the extra clarifying agents wont hurt anything. i think i need to make another batch of wine and reclaim some brewing dignity....

Latest posts

Back