Kegging and the wife...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 taps on my kegerator and I wish I had more. I like the variety. But my door is full of bottles too, so I can still have something different now and then.

And I too have small glasses on the top of the kegerator. Nice for pulling that first few inches from the front, or checking up on the conditioning, or if I only want a small glass at a time. I rarely pull more than 10 ounces at a time. Probably will once that wit gets carbed though...

I'm only using standard pint glasses. I've had a keg since college, so judging more or less is hard, but I will say that I can kill about 1 keg (5 gal) every 1.5 to 2 weeks, with my wife's help though. I know this may not be help, but I do think the keg is worth every cent of investment, if not just to keep the bottles down.

I'm new to kegging still being on my first keg but so far I haven't drank anymore than before. Like others have said I use smaller glasses. I love being able to set my carb level more precisely and the convenience of being able to bottle at will.
The other thing I do is a have a lock for the tap. My wife babysits small children in our home during the day so it saves me from having them play with the tap. That and I have a 17 year daughter and don't trust her and her friends 100% when I'm not around. Also I keep the key stashed upstairs which helps with the temptation while I'm downstairs watching tv or whatever making it more of a pita to pour a beer.

The convenience of having a keg or kegs around is just too easy to drink and I find myself doing more of it. Having 5 beers on tap 15 feet away as opposed to having to go upstairs for a beer, makes it way too easy.

Part of this is also a schedule change for me. I used to work 15 hour days. I would not have a beer with dinner if I had to open a bottle as i knew I might be sleeping soon and would not want to waist a full bottle. It is easy to pour a glass, which might end up as two.

On nights when I have an easier shift PM reserve and usually work less than 5 hours it is easier to have more than one or two as you top off your glass and loose count. You can drink just as much beer out of a 8 oz glass as you can a 20 oz glass it just takes more trips. With endless beer on tap you have to make a conscious effort to know how many you've had.

As far as having beer on tap the beer lover will be very impressed. I have sample glasses so people can work they way down the line, choose which they like then grab a bigger glass and enjoy a few. There are others that are just as impressed as they try to drain your favorite keg and then move on to your second favorite one. I try not to have people over like that as you end up with an empty keg and a drunk in your home. If you have friends like that take a growler to their house then drink all their beer.:D

There are so many advantages to kegging and having a kegerator, its a natural progression to homebrewing. The dangers lie in you or your friends tendency to overindulge. My biggest concern with my keezer is our new kitten will knock the tap open while I am at work one day.

Just thought of an idea for a t shirt. "My old lady said I drink too much. My new lady helps me brew."

This.

New wife time.

But seriously I don't notice any difference, just alot less work cleaning/sanitizing and alot less bottles in the drying rack, which for me=happier SWMBO.

Back