15 Gallon Oak Barrels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking for 15 gallon oak barrels. I would like used but new is ok. Besides for home homebrew stores anyone know where I can find some. I'm looking to use them for sour beers.

Primary- Kolsch
Secondary- Brett Saison
Kegged- 10 Gal Black IPA, Wet Hop Citra Pale Ale, Sorachi Ace Pilsner, 10 Gal Oatmeal Stout
Bottled- Zeus IPA, Berliner Weisse
Next- Greenbelt Pale Ale, 100% Brett Pale Ale, SMaSH Beer

When you find a source that's not that expensive, let me know... I'm currently using 1/2 barrel kegs as fermenters but I've been scouring the interwebs for an affordable oak alternative. It seems like if you want a 50+ gallon wine barrel, you can get them used for $100 but a 15 gallon one costs a lot more!

When you find a source that's not that expensive, let me know... I'm currently using 1/2 barrel kegs as fermenters but I've been scouring the interwebs for an affordable oak alternative. It seems like if you want a 50+ gallon wine barrel, you can get them used for $100 but a 15 gallon one costs a lot more!

I almost bought a 59 gallon but when I thought about it I can't bottle that much.

I almost bought a 59 gallon but when I thought about it I can't bottle that much.

Exactly... 59 gallons is great if you've got several folks going in together but is hard to justify unless you REALLY like particular style.

A local homebrew store ought to be able to special order one for you. Otherwise, try contacting some of the smaller wineries in the state and see if any use 15 gallon barrels and if they would be willing to sell one to you. I know some of them sell their barrels off to distilleries...

The problem ordering them from homebrew stores is the fact they are so expensive but you can get them that way, for sure. Almost all wineries I know of use large oak barrels or plastic. 15 gallon fermenters for pros are generally too time consuming unless you're making a one off or something. Of course, some whiskey makers use smaller barrels to oak their whiskey quicker.

There's also the issue of the surface to volume ratio, a 15 gallon barrel let's in considerably more oxygen than a 55-60 gallon barrel.

During wine season a lot of retailers have 15 gallon barrels for the home wine making market.

There's also the issue of the surface to volume ratio, a 15 gallon barrel let's in considerably more oxygen than a 55-60 gallon barrel.

During wine season a lot of retailers have 15 gallon barrels for the home wine making market.

Personally, I'd rather have a used barrel, same as jgardner. New is OK but they are so overpriced imo and they would be over-oaking for what I'm after so I'd have to brew a few batches before a long-term aging.

Those are good but I'm really looking for something bigger, say 15 gallons but I can work with a 30 gallon.

I've looked at his before. He has a 13 gallon listed now. Still expensive once shipped! :) I may have to bite at some point if I can't find a reasonable alternative elsewhere.

Kelvin Cooperage out of Kentucky makes 15 gallon barrels $248, plus shipping.
They'll sold out now. Next production is January 2014.

Tuthilltown Distillery (NY) lists used barrels on their site $125 with no other information.

There is also this one from Keystone which is very reasonable compared to whats out there. You can make a couple of bourbon beers with it first or give it a few Hot water rinses and you are good to go.

Back