Gelatin then Bottling...Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, I've got a brown ale in the primary right now and I'm planning on racking to secondary in the next few days. When I rack to the secondary I plan on adding some gelatin. I've never tried gelatin before and I'm wondering if it works properly (clarifies,) will it take longer to carb in the bottle b/c a lot of the yeast dropped out? This is assuming bottling is taking place at around 72* F.

Thanks in advance,
J

Ideally gelatin should be used on cold brew. I don't know how warm the nights are in Houston, but they are nice and cool (40s) here now.

Rack the brew to a carboy. While doing so I remove 2 cups (1 pint) of brew and put it in a pot and add 1 TBS (tablespoon) of gelatin (from HBS, not Knox) then heat the beer up until the gelatin dissolves. Don't boil it because it will break down. Then pour it into the carboy and let sit out overnight. It's clear by morning. ;)

The gelatin and everything else will be on the bottom so just rack off of it into your bottling bucket. Try not to rack any gelatin.

Some brewing books say to add it directly to the keg, but to me that's just not right.

Are you having bad haze problems in most of your beers? I find the stuff to be pretty unneccessary unless you're trying to fix a continuous problem.

Well, this weekend has been the coldest so far at a low of about 59*, but that's about gone. The lows now I think are in the 70's. Anyways, I don't have a way to crash cool either b/c my kegerator is full. So the carboy will be at room temp unless I'm not too lazy to put it into a bucket with ice bottles.

I've brewed so many batches I can't count and I've never really found the need for gelatin, but I figure I'd try it out sooner or later. Also, this is a batch that I'm making with a person that's thinking about getting into the hobby, so I want him to see some extra clear beer. :)

will it take longer to bottle condition/carb? or will the standard 4 weeks do fine?

Well, to answer you question myself, I bottled my brown ale that I used gelatin in about 4 days ago. I popped one to see how it was carbonating. It seemed about how it would w/out gelatin. I'd say the standard 3-4 weeks would be just fine.

Back