Bru'N Water - Report shows Nitrate as N

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
The report i got the water guy to give me shows Nitrate as N with a value of .276 mg/L

If Bru'N Water wants it as NO2 what do i put into the spreadsheet?

Nitrite (NO2) is not typically present in drinking water at appreciable concentration. Nitrate (NO3) can be. To convert the agricultural term, nitrate as N (NO3-N) to its true concentration as nitrate, you need to multiply the NO3-N value by 4.43. It is still a teeny number for your report. Its not a concern in your brewing, but it may be helpful in assessing if the lab results are 'balanced'.

Nitrite (NO2) is not typically present in drinking water at appreciable concentration. Nitrate (NO3) can be. To convert the agricultural term, nitrate as N (NO3-N) to its true concentration as nitrate, you need to multiply the NO3-N value by 4.43. It is still a teeny number for your report. Its not a concern in your brewing, but it may be helpful in assessing if the lab results are 'balanced'.

Ah so the report saying Nitrate As N really means NO3-N? Gotcha thanks!

It really means the amount of nitrogen contained in the nitrate ions in your water. Thus if you have NO3-N = 0.276 mg/L that means 0.276 mg of nitrogen per liter which is 0.276/14 mmol/L. Each mmol of nitrogen is attached to 3 mmol of oxygen in the nitrate ion so the molecular weight of the nitrate ion is 3*16 + 14 = 62 and the weight of the associated nitrate ion is 0.276*62/14 = 0.276*4.429.

Back