Best way to steep grains in a partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a a few recipes for partial mashes that each have slightly different way to steep the grains. Some say hold at 150F for 30 min, others say put grains in at first and bring up to 170F and remove. Im sure its pretty similar both ways but just asking as I am fairly new to home brewing.

Thanks,

Shawn

Steeping grains is not the same as partial mashing. Steeping you just want color and flavor from the grain whereas with mashing, you are looking for more efficient sugar conversion. If it's just steeping, it really doesn't matter. I would bring it up to around 150 and let rest for 30 minutes. The other way works too.

Thanks. My recipe is for a partial mash and the instructions say to steep the grains. Its probably not as confusing as Im making it but thats the way its written. Im assuming the grains in this recipe are intended to be mashed because it is a pretty hefty beer. A 1.092 OG. Any tips on how to boil the 2 lbs of grain for this?

You don't boil grains, ever. Maybe post the recipe and what the instructions say so the community can help more.

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L LATE
27% 3 0 Briess Pilsen Light DME 44 2 Y
27% 3 0 Briess Pilsen Light DME 44 2 Y
18% 2 0 Briess Pilsen Light DME 44 2 ~
9% 1 0 Cane Sugar 45 0 Y
9% 1 0 Belgian Carapils 34 13 ~
9% 1 0 Briess Munich Malt 34 10 ~
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
1.092 measured
(1.090 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.022 / 5.6° Plato
(1.020 to 1.024)
Color
6° SRM / 12° EBC
(Yellow to Gold)
Mash Efficiency
75%
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
first wort 60+ mins 1.0 Magnum leaf 15.0
boil 60 mins 1.0 Amarillo leaf 11.2
boil 30 mins 1.0 Centennial leaf 10.2
boil 20 mins 1.0 Magnum leaf 15.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 Amarillo leaf 11.2
post-boil 30 mins 1.0 Cascade leaf 5.0
dry hop 1 day 0.25 Amarillo leaf 11.2
dry hop 1 day 1.0 Centennial leaf 10.2

This is all I have to go by although Ive gotten a few tips

If I am reading your recipe correctly you will get no where near 1.090 OG. Plus it looks more like and extract with grains recipe than a partial mash. Based on my calculations with 8lbs of Pilsner extract, 1 pound of cane sugar, and a lb of carapils, and a lb of munich you will get an OG of 1.069.

The grain bill looks belgian and the hop bill is an american IPA. What yeast are you using. Are you going for a belgian IPA? Do you want it as big as a 1.092?

Also if you do not know how to mash grains then you need to take the time to educate yourself before you brew a beer this big. For your first partial mash I would recommend doing something fairly simple, get your process down, determine what kind of mash efficiency you are getting before tackling a beer this big.

Most of my partial mashes use 4 to 6 pounds or more of grain but I do have a small mash tun.

If you are intent on brewing this big beer I would recommend doing it as an extract with grains recipe until you have the experience to do partial mash. If you need help formulating the recipe let me know.

phuff7129 said:
If I am reading your recipe correctly you will get no where near 1.090 OG. Plus it looks more like and extract with grains recipe than a partial mash. Based on my calculations with 8lbs of Pilsner extract, 1 pound of cane sugar, and a lb of carapils, and a lb of munich you will get an OG of 1.069.

The grain bill looks belgian and the hop bill is an american IPA. What yeast are you using. Are you going for a belgian IPA? Do you want it as big as a 1.092?

Also if you do not know how to mash grains then you need to take the time to educate yourself before you brew a beer this big. For your first partial mash I would recommend doing something fairly simple, get your process down, determine what kind of mash efficiency you are getting before tackling a beer this big.

Most of my partial mashes use 4 to 6 pounds or more of grain but I do have a small mash tun.

If you are intent on brewing this big beer I would recommend doing it as an extract with grains recipe until you have the experience to do partial mash. If you need help formulating the recipe let me know.

+1. Looks like it just means for you to steep the grains. What kind of beer are you shooting for?

Latest posts

Back