20 Gal batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wisescape

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year now. I've been brewing 5 gal batches. The demand from friends and family have led me to brew 20 gal batches. I'm new to this so I have a few questions. If I quadrulple the recipe (grain, yeast, etc.) will everything turn out similar to the 5 gallon batches? How big of a pot should I be using? Are the fermentation times the same? Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Welcome :mug:
Can't comment on the size of "pot", but you should be able to scale up everything with the exception. I remember hearing/reading that hop utilization isn't linear. I'm sure someone else with be able to give more helpful advice.

Hey. I'm in your same position actually, we're doing our first 20 gallon batch next week.

For the brewpot, we're using a 15 gallon pot cause we're using 8 gallons of water and 36lbs of LME (which equals 4 1/2 gallons I think). I'm not sure of what you're using but that could work out the same for you.

I assume fermentation times are the same no matter what the size of your batch, I haven't read anything yet that says otherwise.

Back