IPA with WLP009 (Australian Ale Yeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
Any thoughts? Will this yeast be ok for an IPA? I am going for low (moderate) bitterness and HUGE hop flavor and Aroma. Heres the recipe, its a 6 gallon boil down to 3-3.5 gallons)

10 lbs. American 2-row
4 lbs. American Caramel 10°L
1 lb. American Caramel 40°L

1 oz. Simcoe (Pellets, 11.9 %AA) boiled 75 min.
1oz. Chinook (Pellets, 10.7 %AA) boiled 15 mins.
1 oz. Czech Saaz (Pellets, 2.9 %AA) boiled 10 min.
2 oz. Crystal (Whole, 7.0 %AA) boiled 2 mins.

1 oz. Crystal (Whole 7.0 %AA) Primary Fermenter Dry Hop
1oz. East Kent Goldings (Whole 5.5 %AA) Secondary Fermenter Dry Hop

Yeast : White Labs WLP009 Australian Ale
this yeast is said to impart a "bready" flavor. will that be a problem?

Thanks!!

I use that yeast in one of my IPA recipes. It works well and provides a bit more malt character compared to the typical chico strain. The bready character is pretty subtle, especially when it's used for an IPA. I would cut back from 5 FREAKIN POUNDS!!! of crystal though. Drop the 10L completely and knock the 40L down to about 1/2 a pound. 5 pounds of crystal in your recipe would be the definition of cloyingly sweet.

The hop varieties are all over the place. It'd be interesting to see how that schedule turns out. Could be a strange complexity, or it could be great.

I use that yeast in one of my IPA recipes. It works well and provides a bit more malt character compared to the typical chico strain. The bready character is pretty subtle, especially when it's used for an IPA. I would cut back from 5 FREAKIN POUNDS!!! of crystal though. Drop the 10L completely and knock the 40L down to about 1/2 a pound. 5 pounds of crystal in your recipe would be the definition of cloyingly sweet.

The hop varieties are all over the place. It'd be interesting to see how that schedule turns out. Could be a strange complexity, or it could be great.

i was kind of hoping to end up with something on the sweet and not bitter side for something different in an ipa. maybe i could use to up the bitterness a little. the final abv should be 7.9% with 60 ibu's, maybe i should make that 70 ibu's or so?:confused:

Back