Basement Brewing with Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmatzdorf

Reaction score
So I am setting up a room in my basement for my brewery. I plan on using propane turkey fryers for my HLT and Brew Kettle. Do I need to install some sort of exhaust fan because of the burners?

we are doing 15 gallon batches and have a good range vent fan exhausting to the outside on highest setting, as well as opening a basement casement window to provide fresh oxygen.

Yes.

Yes.

And a fire extinguisher. And a carbon monoxide detector. And a SWMBO/friend to check on you occasionally to make sure you are not dead.

Yeah, you need very good circulation. I brew outside on a screened-in porch, and I have to open the porch door if I don't want to get sick. I learned that the hard way, with a nasty headache and sore throat.

I was planning on installing a bathroom exhaust fan and venting that outside. I figure if I bought one for a room twice the size as my brewing room I'd be safe.

I wouldn't even say "yes" under any circumstances. Even having a propane tank in my basement is something I would rather avoid. These burners can make quite a bit of CO, plus there is the added problem of burning wort if you have a boilover.

Plus, there is the whole don't burn your house down thing too.

I would say the "go electric" advise is the best. I just don't find it worth sitting in your basement hoping that you have good enough ventilation. Do it outside.

I would forego using a propane burner inside the house. A recipe for disaster.

Consider the time it takes to boil, you'll be pushing a lot of fumes all throughout the house.

I too brew in my basement with NG and 3 jet burners. I have a huge hood directly over the burners with a 1,250 cfm in line duct fan vented outside. I have a fresh air returning into the room from a vent across the hall from my brewery. I also have a CO2 monitor that has not shown any signs of excess CO2.

Make sure you calculate the volume of your room correctly and check the codes for venting rate. I vented twice what I needed to by code.

gmatzdorf said:
I was planning on installing a bathroom exhaust fan and venting that outside. I figure if I bought one for a room twice the size as my brewing room I'd be safe.

Twice as big isn't even close to big enough. Plus you also need to add fresh air to the room at a rate greater than what is used. Then they'd the while CO issue. It's only beer that you're trying to make. Is it worth risking your life over?

i have a friend who does this with very little ventilation. I preach to him every time he does it. I've told him I would help him build electric. He says it's fine, but I think he loses iq points every year.

have you asked him what beer he wants served at his funeral?

I debate everytime he does it, to take the d*ckhead route and send some website links to his wife about the dangers. Then it would stop for sure. He has been doing it for years and convinced himself it is safe. Think Ill take the next couple days and bombard him again with links about the dangers. Hes one of my best friends, I have to find a way to do without totally pissing him off. Even though saving his life would be the result.

So, why can't you do it outside? I brew all winter outdoors, down to -10F. I keep the MLT inside, but the burner outside. Like, if you have a basement, you must have somewhere outside you can go. Hell, go visit a state park and brew by the BBQ grill.

Uh... no?

There is so much wrong with this, I don't know where to begin.

People that have gas burners inside, have natural gas - installed by a professional. NOT a propane tank and a bathroom fan. There is absolutely no safe way to burn propane in your basement, even if you have an industrial air handler from Grainger.

When you combine the un-combusted hydrocarbons, the co2, the risk of fire, the typical quality of turkey fryer burners, etc. this isn't an accident waiting to happen, it's a complete unmitigated disaster waiting to happen.

If you fail to ignore the warnings in this thread, I expect to see the end result of this on the news.

Go to the closest fire department and ask them how they feel about it. At least they will know the homeowner when they come to the fire.

I think the point has been made...but you also have to consider that propane is heavier than air. So if the propane tanks that you're running your rig from have an unsuspected small leak between batches, or if you have one too many home brews during the brew day with your buddies and you don't close the tank valve 100% tight your basement floor could fill with propane from the bottom up. There's really no way that something like that ends well.

Don't you still need exhaust for an electric setup?

I would think you would need to vent the humidity to avoid destroying any paper or other moisture-sensitive materials you may be storing in the basement.

Don't you still need exhaust for an electric setup?

I would think you would need to vent the humidity to avoid destroying any paper or other moisture-sensitive materials you may be storing in the basement.

Indeed, but venting moisture to prevent mildew & water damage is much much different from venting carbon monoxide from a propane burner. One can make your wall paper peel...the other will kill you.

look, you're not gonna "go electric" or anything, just take your turkey fryer outside. if it's cold, wear a jacket.

I would go to the dentist quick and get a good set of xrays done.

They are going to need them to identify your body.

I agree with everyone else on not doing this in your basement. The point has been made. You're going to need to exhaust the heat and moisture from your boil. Most basements already have a problem with moisture and boiling wort in your basement is definitely not going to help. Most importantly propane pools in low lying places. So you better hope you have a completely sealed system and definitely make sure you never leave your gas on. Maybe if you had a better system than "turkey fryers".

Just something to think about though. People burn propane indoors all the time. Look at RV's, trailers, and mobile homes, even some houses. I've seen it all over the south.
Burning propane does not produce CO (carbon monoxide) it does however consume oxygen. There's nothing wrong with burning propane indoors. Crack a window if you're worried.

Just don't do this in your basement with a turkey fryer and bathroom fan...

every winter theres a camper who dies from co poisonining
Basement is the worst place you can be...
bathtroom fan of 120m3 minute should make it safe no matter(im not liable for my advise im not an US citisen)

Well for f*cksakes. All I wanted was a simple answer to a simple question. Thank you to those who answered civily, the hell with the rest of you. Apparently this site is for insulting fellow homebrewers who ask questions about situations they are not familiar with. Looks like I'll find another site to discuss brewing techniques.

they're just trying to save your life, buddy, calm down. ur on a forum, u should expect a reasonable amount of smarta$$ remarks

they're just trying to save your life, buddy, calm down. ur on a forum, u should expect a reasonable amount of smarta$$ remarks

Agreed, don't give up on this place, yet. I brew in my basement, but with natural gas and a 6 foot by 4 foot commercial exhaust hood and 860 cfm in-line blower with an open window for makeup air. As others have pointed out, propane sinks, natural gas rises. A propane leak will pool on your basement floor, migrate over to the burner under your water heater, and KABBOOM!!. They are just looking out for your best interests.

Next time you are heading down HWY 41 in Washington County, send me a PM and I'll give you a tour.

People burn propane indoors all the time. Look at RV's, trailers, and mobile homes, even some houses. I've seen it all over the south.

Not every meth lab explodes - there might be a chance :drunk:

Do I need to install some sort of exhaust fan because of the burners?

I think ultimately you asked the wrong question, which is why you got the answers you did. The question you should have asked was: "Should I do this at all?" - to which most people are giving you a resounding "no."

Realistically there are more really good reasons not to use a propane turkey fryer burner in a basement than there are reasons to do it.

Just to be clear, it isn't my intention to piss anyone off here. However, when a question is brought up regarding something so easily avoidable and extremely hazardous in nature, I don't give a **** about feelings.

Propane turkey fryers aren't in the same league as RV appliances. You have ready access to ~50K BTUs , and can potentially kill yourself and others with the CO produced, or from a fire. Propane is heavier than air, so a leak in the tank or line could produce another serious situation for you your basement, and others nearby. Even with fans, be very clear in understanding that you are intentionally engaging in a quite dangerous and deadly action. Make sure your family knows and consents to this.

While it may be true that some posters on this thread are being dicks, it doesn't change the fact that their messages are right.

When I boil on my fryer, I usually experience some smoking from the burner, and yellow flame. I have adjusted and adjusted. These burners are not precision items. They make a lot of heat, and tht is it. After mine gets dirty with use, the ability to get a clean flame gets more difficult. I sometimes get a headache just when stirring the wort, when in am over the pot or right next to it for more than a few minutes.

Beer is great, but it isn't worth killing yourself or losing your house over. Brewing outside is great anyway.

Back