orfy.. what the he!! is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Heck, Britain is messed up. My local high school has a ban on dances, because once somebody got drunk.

JnJ said:
Agreed.....Wait until you have teenaged daughters you sick bastids.....

+1 (2?)...this isn't one of those things you remember when you were young because it was so much fun, its one of those things you remember because of the serious repercussions...

Judd said:
Holy Heck, Britain is messed up. My local high school has a ban on dances, because once somebody got drunk.

Say what you want about how screwed up things are in the US but I haven't heard any stories about high school kids mobbing up and attacking ambulances lately.

that didn't happen at my school dances back in the old country. bottle of pop and some shortbread biscuits was the most intoxicated we got.

:off:

i saw something on tv on sunday about lowering the drinking age in the US to 18. and this guy from MADD saying that having the age at 21 saved 900 (I think) lives since it came in 20 odd years ago (based on comparing before/after stats). it got me thinking that the best think to do is to raise the drinking age to 42. we would save 1000s of lives. in fact, raise it to 43, then i can have a year of being all edgy breaking the law

wihophead said:
Teenage orgies???? We have some sick individuals here....:drunk:
/sarcasm

Yeah that whole thing would be a giant mess though. I imagine some people don't know what the hell to think... people involved, parents, etc.
But seriously, drunken orgies? I've never heard of alcohol alone doing that.

Dammit Evan you sick a$$ hole! None of us were there!!!!lol.

14-16 year olds? I will skip the pics ANYWAYS.

Drinking at an earlier age would absolutely kill people. I was so frigging stupid at 18. I had a high IQ but little common sense.

I'm with Evan. Just how often do you get to see a huge mob of drunken high school kids pissing on a pub, looting ambulances, and having sex in the town square! Then even had the audacity to do it standing up! (Oh the humanity...)

Everybody loves to see a train wreck... Admit it, you watched 9/11, you watched Challenger explode, and if that video came on the 11:00 news you wouldn't change the channel...

cd2448 said:
that didn't happen at my school dances back in the old country. bottle of pop and some shortbread biscuits was the most intoxicated we got.

:off:

i saw something on tv on sunday about lowering the drinking age in the US to 18. and this guy from MADD saying that having the age at 21 saved 900 (I think) lives since it came in 20 odd years ago (based on comparing before/after stats). it got me thinking that the best think to do is to raise the drinking age to 42. we would save 1000s of lives. in fact, raise it to 43, then i can have a year of being all edgy breaking the law

I think Canada has a pretty sensible system. The drinking age is either 18 or 19 (by province); binge drinking is reduced because young adults don't have to sneak around to do it; underage drinking isn't entirely taboo (so there's less sneaking and bingeing) but drunk driving is. I mean, I've seen drive-through bars in the US, while the headlines are talking about tightening age restrictions because a 20yo died after predrinking to excess. If people are around alcohol in their own homes, and it's not a big sexy forbidden thing, and they're introduced to it properly, they actually die less.

Agreed Kai, but americans are patently retarded. A wholesale elimination of age requirements might work, but the conservative tight wads would never allow it.

Just lowering the age would mean that people are inducted into legal drinking at an even earlier age by a stop at several bars and a near case of alcohol poisoning.

Our attitude when young, is that it is just easier to get when you come of age.

cheezydemon said:
Agreed Kai, but americans are patently retarded. A wholesale elimination of age requirements might work, but the conservative tight wads would never allow it.

Just lowering the age would mean that people are inducted into legal drinking at an even earlier age by a stop at several bars and a near case of alcohol poisoning.

Our attitude when young, is that it is just easier to get when you come of age.

That might make sense in a few cases, but I honestly think there are more situations like this:

Mirilis said:
Age limit never stopped me when i was in highshcool/collage

Than your situation.

Drinking seems A LOT cooler when you know you're breaking the law when you're a teenager.

Heck, in a lot of European countries, you can buy anything under 15% ABV when you turn 16. (You teach them to drink, then you let them drive.) The thing is, there should be education, like driver's ed, so that people understand how bad binge drinking is, as in: you can die. I binge drank once when I was not of age and got pretty drunk on malt liquor. WOW. After spending an hour by the toilet bowl feeling like sh*t, I figured out I was never getting drunk on malt liquor again.

Age limit never stopped me from drinking either. At age 18 I appeared old enough to avoid getting carded 90% of places I went to buy booze and drank semi regularly in public. Retrospectively however, I'm glad the drinking age was 21. Had my friends and I been turned loose in public at age 18, we definitely would have been guilty of many more counts of stupidity then we were already. I say leave the drinking age at 21, and make it legal to serve any member of the armed forces who may be younger.

I think drinking under the age of 21 should be legal, but, under certain circumstances. It only makes sence for it to be legal to drink in a controlled environment (family, reunions, etc). However, the underage person should not be allowed to buy beer under the age of 21 and drink under no suppervision. Doing it this way the young person can be introduced to alcohol and at the same time learn good drinking habits instead of binge drinking whatever you can get your hands on ( I learned the hard way, drink hard, drink fast). Pretending that everyone will follow the law and wait till they are 21 to drink is way unrealistic, and it's something that should be realized by the general public and implement such laws as suppervised drinking. It's not lowering moral standars as some may argue; it's being smart and using common sence. Drinking is not bad, just the way you might happen to conduct yourself in this fashion might be. In a perfect world (almost the rest of the world), it would be sane and smart to completely lower the drinking age of 21 to 18, but here in the U.S. it's another story I think.

I certainly started drinking more sensibly when I turned 19, because I could buy stuff that I liked whenever I wanted, instead of getting really drunk on whatever junk I could get my hands on, whenever I could find someone to buy.

Well this kids are 15 and drunk you don't have worry about them driving!!!!

Back