Carbonation/Kegging/Balancing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolaPete

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my kegging system set up and balanced. I've read so many posts and threads and articles about the subject my head is going to explode!

After using the balancing calculator it looks like I should have about 14'-16' of tubing if I set the system to 12-14 psi @ 47*-50*. I did not know this when I hooked up the system and currently have about 2' of tubing in use. That means I should only have about 2-2.5 psi set for serving.

So the question is...If the keg has been set to a higher psi to carbonate, but then the psi is lowered for serving will this not eventually make the beer flat? (I've read people reply both yes and no to this question.)

I'm trying to figure out if I can leave the tubing at 2' or if I have to increase the length to 14'-16' to balance out the system.

I'm trying to get my kegging system set up and balanced. I've read so many posts and threads and articles about the subject my head is going to explode!

After using the balancing calculator it looks like I should have about 14'-16' of tubing if I set the system to 12-14 psi @ 47*-50*. I did not know this when I hooked up the system and currently have about 2' of tubing in use. That means I should only have about 2-2.5 psi set for serving.

So the question is...If the keg has been set to a higher psi to carbonate, but then the psi is lowered for serving will this not eventually make the beer flat? (I've read people reply both yes and no to this question.)

I'm trying to figure out if I can leave the tubing at 2' or if I have to increase the length to 14'-16' to balance out the system.

This is hard to answer because I don't have all of the info. 14' to 16' of hose would be way too much for 3/16" ID hose, but about right for 1/4" ID hose. Most systems ship with 3/16" ID hose. I can't imagine a scenario where 2' would be correct unless it is a party pump with no CO2. Call me at 325-356-5204 and I will try to troubleshoot this with you over the phone. You carbonation level will definitely go down if you serve at a lower pressure than you carbonated to. If you serve the entire keg very quickly ( in less than a day) would be the exception.
Todd

Thanks for the help Todd!

And for anyone else who reads this...Todd was correct, I do have 1/4" tubing at the moment but will change to 3/16" per Todd's recomendation.

Back