Thoughts on WLP090?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
Planning on using this San Diego Super Yeast for the first time this weekend, and I'm curious what others think. I've heard it's the same strain as Wyeast's Pacman...

It's a quicker pac-man yeast from what I can surmise. I used it. Accidentally pitched too hot in a DIPA. Tried to crash cool and it didn't work. Turned into a weird Belgian-y thing. Phenolic, but clean. Hot alcohol.

1.070, 45 ibu with 2oz of whirlpool citra.

Aside from my own fault, it did exactly what it claims to do. Clean flavors, and QUICK!

Beer turned out to be undrinkable. But that wasn't the yeast's fault ;)

I used it last month in an ipa, hit my final gravity in 72 hours. Very clean yeast....think wlp001 on steroids
+1
Pretty much interchangeable with wlp001. I don't notice it working way way faster then wlp001 but it does floc a little better.

I bottled a brown ale made with the super yeast, used the cake to start another batch. The brown didn't drop super clear (I didn't use any finings, only brief cold-crash), but definitely has a clean taste. The other batch got off to a strong start - that's all I can say about it as of now. I'm going to use the 3rd gen. when I rack that one next week.

jtejedor said:
+1
Pretty much interchangeable with wlp001. I don't notice it working way way faster then wlp001 but it does floc a little better.

Exactly what I was hoping! I really like 001, but seems to take forever to f*cking drop clear. Great!

It does have higher flocculation. It works faster than 001

All sounds good. I'll be pitching it into a 1.049 OG UK Pale tomorrow, then harvesting the yeast when it's done.

Back