Big IPA Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
So I wanted to do a big IPA and played with Beersmith. This is what I came up with:

9# pale liquid extract at 60 mins.
3# light dry extract at 15 mins.
2 oz. Warrior hops at 60 mins.
1 oz. Warrior hops at 40 mins.
1 oz. Perle at 20 mins.
1 oz. Mt. Hood at 10 mins.
1 oz. Glacier at 0 mins.

I thought about dry hopping, but not sure yet. As a disclaimer, I'm pretty new to crafting my own recipes, so I'm looking for some thoughts or suggestions. Any input is appreciated.

I don't like the hopping, to be honest.

You've got three ounces of bittering hops (warrior at 60 and 40), Perle and Mt hood for flavoring, and glacier for aroma hops.

It'll be very, very, very bitter with just a tiny bit of hops flavor and aroma. Glacier is ok, a little earthy and nice, but a bit suble. Perle and Mt Hood are typical German hops. I've used Mt Hood in an IPA before (notably Denny Conn's Rye IPA) but it's really sort of "blah" by itself. Perle is a nice neutral hop.

If I was doing an IPA, I'd decide first if I wanted American or English style hopping. Then I would think about if I wanted earthy, citrusy, spicy, woody, etc, hops. Then pick more suitable hops.

I'd keep the bittering hops to about an ounce of high AAU hops (you have three ounces).

I'd also strongly recommend using the DME early in the boil, and the LME late in the boil as the LME will tend to darken and thicken quite a bit more than DME does. I'd add the LME near or at flame out.

I'd consider some steeping grains, for interest, like some victory malt. I'd also consider dropping a pound or two of the LME and adding a pound of corn sugar to keep the beer from feeling "thick" and too malty.

This is what I was looking for. I appreciate this input. The hops had me in a bind. Just kind of a shot in the dark. I don't have them on hand. I had some Chinook and Mt. Hood that I grew, but not enought to do anything with.

For hops, think of commercial beers you like, try to find ingredient lists from the brewery's website or possibly clone recipes on the internet, take those hop combos and just try experimenting. You'll find some combos that you like and some that you might not, but that's the beauty of homebrewing. I'm really partial to Cascade/Centennial with some Chinook mixed in.

So, looking at this again, I'm thinking that I want that earthy/spicy hop profile. So that got me to considering Perle and Glacier, but am wondering what to use as my initial bittering hop. Can I stick with Warrior, or switch to something like Chinook. Yooper, I've taken your advice into account and switched my extract additions up, as well as reductions.

Back