Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromedome

Reaction score
Is 1.010 to high to bottle at?

1/2 gallon test batch of cider that stopped at 1.000 i then added 1.5 Tablespoons honey for priming that brought it to 1.010

Honey will ferment out pretty much all the way, giving you ten gravity points of sugar for priming. I don't know if you make beer, but that would be like adding a pound of dry malt extract to prime a batch, rather than the more usual ~6oz.

Suffice to say, pretty much any bottles you use will shatter like coconuts under a tank.

It would be possible, I suppose, to bottle and let the cider carb (fill a plastic bottle to test how much it's carbonated). Then throw it all in a cold fridge to knock out the yeast, and keep them there. Drink relatively soon - i.e. in the next six months or so.

This works if you have the fridge space. Otherwise, you're going to have to wait for them to ferment out a bit first.

Let it ferment out, and then add an additional 0.5 ozs honey or sugar and then prime. Much safer.

Back