Star-san foam & yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I rinsed my fermentor with Star-san before I started brewing today and byt the time the wort was ready to transfer into the fermentor there was still a little foam left in the carboy. I've poured in my wort, topped it off to the 5 gallon mark and my aeration stone is in there now doing its' thing.

My question is, will pitching on top of a 1/4 to 1/2 of foam be OK? I've been swirling the wort around in the carboy for added aeration and to try and get the foam to disipate but there is still some there.

Is that going to be a problem for the yeast?

My question is, will pitching on top of a 1/4 to 1/2 of foam be OK? I've been swirling the wort around in the carboy for added aeration and to try and get the foam to disipate but there is still some there.

Is that going to be a problem for the yeast?

absolutely not. star san is the best and will not hurt anything. dont even worry about trying to get the foam to dissapate. i believe i read on this site that the foam is actually fuel for yeast... you'll be fine
:mug:

Yep, the yeast will eat it.

Here's my IPA going into the fermenter a couple months ago:

562cdb57.jpg

Thanks all!

The yeast is pitched, the fermentor is sitting in its' chillin' bucket with a t-shirt over it and the blowoff tube is waiting for the action to begin.

Back