Waterproof Control Box Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exoenix

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So a few of us have built a Brutus 10 and have taken up brewing our own beer. As the resident computer guy I got volunteered to build the control box. I'm game, but I'm so lost on where to get waterproof parts.

We already have a working plastic box, however with how busy it gets and a few clumiser in our group we get liquid on the switches and it doesn't feel safe. Our end goal is to make one out of stainless to match our Brutus. I was looking at ebrew supply for switches but couldn't find out if anything they had was waterproof.

Thanks for any and all help as we progress on the unique voyage.

Waterproof is a tricky word. If you want to see how tricky it can be check out a Hoffmann enclosure catalog and find the part for the different NEMA specifications for enclosures. Gawd am I showing my age! Probably a Wikipedia article on the same subject.

It will give you an idea about the different types of waterproof and other environmental issues for cabinets.

Most manufacturers who rate their equipment with a NEMA value, make the disclaimer it is void the second you put a hole in the cabinet. Basically you have a NEMA rating for the seal around the door.

You can get waterproof switches, but they won't come cheap. I worked at a place that made boxes similar to what your are doing. Water proof switches and buttons are (my SWAG) $100-$150 each.

How about this as a solution. Do not put buttons and lights on the panel. Put the relays and stuff inside your box. Run a control cable to an external box with switches and lamps and displays, etc. The cable from one box to another can be low voltage control signal. A computer guy could go serial or low voltage GPIO or many other choices. You could go with a Raspberry pie and control over network.

The only point you might have to water proof is the entry/exit of the control cable.

There are tons of inexpensive relay boards on Amazon. They trigger with a few volts @ 5-10 milliamps. Let them act as your switch inside the box. Run a multiconducter cable between the box and control panel and get control signals and lamp from your box to the control panel.

Waterproof is a tricky word. If you want to see how tricky it can be check out a Hoffmann enclosure catalog and find the part for the different NEMA specifications for enclosures. Gawd am I showing my age! Probably a Wikipedia article on the same subject.

It will give you an idea about the different types of waterproof and other environmental issues for cabinets.

Most manufacturers who rate their equipment with a NEMA value, make the disclaimer it is void the second you put a hole in the cabinet. Basically you have a NEMA rating for the seal around the door.

You can get waterproof switches, but they won't come cheap. I worked at a place that made boxes similar to what your are doing. Water proof switches and buttons are (my SWAG) $100-$150 each.

How about this as a solution. Do not put buttons and lights on the panel. Put the relays and stuff inside your box. Run a control cable to an external box with switches and lamps and displays, etc. The cable from one box to another can be low voltage control signal. A computer guy could go serial or low voltage GPIO or many other choices. You could go with a Raspberry pie and control over network.

The only point you might have to water proof is the entry/exit of the control cable.

There are tons of inexpensive relay boards on Amazon. They trigger with a few volts @ 5-10 milliamps. Let them act as your switch inside the box. Run a multiconducter cable between the box and control panel and get control signals and lamp from your box to the control panel.
You could implement this approach with StrangeBrew Elsinore.

Brew on :mug:

You could implement this approach with StrangeBrew Elsinore.

Brew on :mug:

Excellent idea.

Now that I have answered the OP.

IMHO The buttons and switches are not a concern, in terms of being waterproof. Typically switches are sealed up well enough and they have a panel between a potential source of water and the contacts. In the real world, I do not see it being a problem. Maybe if you hit the panel with a prolonged stream of water from a garden hose, there could be a problem. But moderate splashing or an errant squirt of wort or water from the HLT, does not scare me.

Having said all that, a control panel off the box is pretty cool stuff. I know because I am working on that very same design idea.

Yeah from a practicality standpoint, the switches are flanged and some come with gaskets etc - it's pretty drip / wet hands proof. If you're worried about serious splashed, I'd also feel pretty OK just having a standard panel that's got silicone all over the holes from the inside.

And really, just set the panel high up out of the liquid zone. And use fittings so your hoses aren't all willy-nilly spraying.

It totally your call of course but I would correct the issue instead of childproofing the brewery,
Just remove the problem if they cant be careful they shouldnt touch it. Honestly with normal use there is no reason a control panel needs to be waterproof... I guess it depends on how crud your system is but I dont see why a person would even need to control things with dripping wet hands? as others have mentioned you would pretty much have to spray it with water to be an issue.

Still thats what the gfci is there for if it ever happens so...

Even with the StrangeBrew Elsinore your going to have a keyboard that more easily damaged by moisture than a control panel unless you use it via touchscreen only and you'll find out quickly how poorly a wet touchscreen works...

Latest posts

Back