SMASH brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrodaden

Reaction score
There is a guy on YouTube who has several videos. I eventually ended up watching most of them.

One of his video was about SMASH brewing. That is single malt and single hops brewing for those who are unfamiliar with the acronym.

The basic idea behind a smash is that you can get a better feel for the favors imparted by a specific malt or hops by keeping the ingredient list fairly simple.

I am curious to here about any success stories using this approach.

I made a Maris Otter and Citra SMaSh that was great. Even my bmc buddies liked it.
When I'm on my computer tomorrow I will post the specs.

I made a pale ale SMaSH with 2 row, I toasted 1 1/2 pounds of it at 425 for 45 minutes. (i think) and hopped with Columbus. It was delicious! :D

I plan on brewing some Otter Nuggets. Maris Otter and Nugget hops.

From the other SMaSH threads around it seems like people enjoy Maris Otter as their grain and a hops like Amarillo, Columbus, Citra, Cascade etc.

I was all set to make a MO/Amarillo SMaSH, but then I went and added some C40 to bump the color. Then I went and added some Citra to go with the Amarillo. And based on the gravity samples at bottling I'm going to have an amazing beer in 3 weeks.

Got a Vienna/Cascade SMaSH coming up based off suggestions from a previous thread.

I did a Vienna/Centennial SMaSH and it was great. It tasted very similar to Bell's Two Hearted. It's still bottle conditioning so I expect it to get even better. The bottle I tried was flat because it was only half filled and none of the Co2 was able to dissolve into solution.

I was all set to make a MO/Amarillo SMaSH, but then I went and added some C40 to bump the color. Then I went and added some Citra to go with the Amarillo. And based on the gravity samples at bottling I'm going to have an amazing beer in 3 weeks.

Got a Vienna/Cascade SMaSH coming up based off suggestions from a previous thread.

The same thing happened to me! Started building the recipe and before I knew it I had 3 grains and 2 hop varieties. Oh well, should taste good.

Here is the Citra / Marris Otter that I brewed
I'm sure I got most of this from another post

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Citra SMaSH
Brewer: Brian
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.19 gal