New brew room in the works.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGuyRyan

Reaction score
Well with all the wine kits and the recent group buy it was time to expand. My current brew room is for just fermenting and storage, all the brewing is done outside or in the basement. The new room will be a one stop shop for brewing, storage, fermenting and getting away from the kids! Old room was a 5x10 or so room and the new one will be attached to the old and opening up to a 12x16 room with some bump outs. I will still be using propane for the moment with the goal to change to electric sometime soon. But no worries I do understand the issues with propane use indoors and I am installing commercial blowers to exhaust and return fresh air. the area where the current room is will have a bar table along the wall that will also be the grain storage area underneath with a dart board against the far wall. The new room will be complete with a second wall bar with additional taps a 32" LCD, ceiling mounted speakers and sub and I will be building a mock phone booth around the pisser for those who are pee shy. ;)

Before pics

a9e85b54.jpg

896e1118.jpg

f266fdea.jpg

Day one tear down wall in current room to open up.
dccd39c8.jpg

42bb5710.jpg

Day three most wiring in and water lines started. New wash sink area.

99b58ba6.jpg

Drywall going up.
011f1f2d.jpg

d900c47c.jpg

New nook where the fridge will go. On the outer side of the wall next to the fridge area will be my keezer with another 4-5 taps going through the wall to my soon to be wall bar.

609ea31c.jpg

So far about 2 weeks in and insulation is all in except for the bottom of the walls. I will be using green board for that since it may get wet and its heavy as hell so it’s on hold until I finish the plumbing and have a few extra hands to help out.

Everything has gone pretty smoothly except for the drywall. I hung most of it by myself and the house is about 100 years old and everything is off angle and the floor varies by about 4” in some areas so my edges are not very pretty. I will be sanding like crazy to finish it but it’s coming along.

Nice and good luck! I have been toying with the walk-in-cooler and dual ferm chamber build in my brew area for a while and am getting closer and closer to doing the deal...

This looks like plenty of space for some good brew sessions! And urinal FTW!

Looks like it is gonna be pretty slick! Off topic, but I'd never thought about using the bud aluminum bottles...do they work/recap pretty well?

It’s my first batch using them. One of my buddies companies was doing something for bud and he found two cases from 2006 in the warehouse. Let’s just say bud doesn’t age well! But bud light taste better 5 years old than new to me! As for the bottles I bottle carbonated in them and opened two so far and they were perfect. You need to use a wall opener to avoid damaging the lip of the bottle but they work great and weigh nothing. They will be my new bottles for shipping to fiends to keep the weight down and UPS can’t break them. So if you can find some I would say get them. :mug:

Nice and good luck! I have been toying with the walk-in-cooler and dual ferm chamber build in my brew area for a while and am getting closer and closer to doing the deal...

This looks like plenty of space for some good brew sessions! And urinal FTW!

I was thinking of the same thing. Down the road I may expand another bump out something small like 4X6 that I could heavily insulate and just use a small window AC to cool it. I think it’s totally possible since I was heating the old room with just a oil filled portable heater on the lowest setting and it held the room at 70 in the winter with no issues and with no insulation. I think with some heavy foam insulation and a AC unit the room would stay cold at a low energy cost. But then I would have to expand for a walk in humidor as well. :D

what i would give for an unfinished basement

Yea basements are nice up north especially in the summer when they are nice and cool. I wish I could make the room larger but I also do woodworking and I just lost about 1/3 my basement to this. I really need a new garage and if I ever pull the cash together for a new one it will be finished with 1/2 being turned into my work shop and then the basement will be all beer all the time!

I can't even see the pics since I'm at work, but the description alone makes me excited. That's awesome, I'm subscribed now so I can check this when I get home... but I'm in your neck of the woods so I may have to see this bad boy in person some time. Always looking to meet new brewers!

Looking good. Love the urinal too. My uncle has one for the bar in his house and it's the coolest thing ever. Ahh, the simple pleasures of life.

I have 1/3 of the basement in our new house that has been designated beer only....the back side of one wall has been deemed bar by the wife...thinking this for ours as well. can't wait to see progress!

Insulation and walls all up with 2nd coat of mud on. One more coat and the walls will be ready to prime. Next up is the floor. All parts for the urinal is in just need to hang it once the walls are done.

107e0e42.jpg

3f3c5af3.jpg

7d38fd42.jpg

Nice. Can't wait to see how this turns out. I would love to convert half my basement into something like this.

Subscribed. Im at work too so cant see the pics, but sounds cool. I think you should go for the walk in humi as well!

Had to pull it out of the box to get a look at it! Cant wait to pee all over it!

118cbb1e.jpg

Some more sanding tonight, apply last coat on the joints and my floor epoxy kit came in yesterday so I can almost smell the first batch brewing. I just hope the boy doesnt try to sit on the pisser! If I find a deuce floating I will not be happy!

Nothing wrong with this project... unless you count that cubbies poster :D Looking good so far, I'll keep watching.

oh and this:

Urine soaked hop aroma... yeah that would all but ruin IPA's for me... :confused:

I find my piss has pretty good hop aroma if I've been hitting the IPAs.

A word of advice, you'll need a 3/4 waterline to feed that flush valve. If not, expect problems with it. Ask me how I know.

DSCN2832.jpg

_

A word of advice, you'll need a 3/4 waterline to feed that flush valve. If not, expect problems with it. Ask me how I know.

DSCN2832.jpg

_

I realized that after running all the lines and then opening the box for the flush.:mad: Not that bad since the back wall is still open on the other side and my main water line is about 2 feet away so I can just redo it. I left all the backs of the outer walls open until everything is up and running so if I did have any issues I can address them before finishing up. Did you install yours yourself or did you have a plumber. So far I did 100% of the work myself but I have no idea how to connect this thing! I did get it temporally placed but I still need to pull it off so I can tile behind it.

Up next is to finish the old brew room area. I got the electric and drywall started. Then I need to finish painting the walls and finish the floor then it’s on to building the bars, stereo mount, brew stand and TV. I also need to install another outlet for the sub but that will be easy. I am still stoked that I didn’t electrocute myself when adding the new power line to the main box. :)

I need to get a urinal, it has got to be better than pissing out the window in the bar.

Best part is when I installed the urinal everyone became concerned if I was going to put a stall wall or something next to it. Funny that no one has an issue pulling it out and pissing on the side of my garage/house/car in the open back yard but inside everyone become pee shy! :tank:

a4c48b88.jpg

f01f8377.jpg

56ce638d.jpg

d6af1df9.jpg

045aa108.jpg

I have another bar to build along the wall where all my grain is currently stored and then the pisser needs to be installed. The urinal is now going to be outside the brew room behind the wall with the TV. It started getting cramped when all the equipment started going in.

Back