monster on halloween

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
I may have just created a monster.

I just did my first grain biab liquid malt combo.

8 lbs 2 row + 4 oz crystal 60 in a bag

protien rest @ 120, mash @ 152 , 165 rest and drain at 170

add 3.3 lbs liquid amber and start boil.

after boil I checked IG at 80 and got a reading of 1.064

Is this IG to high?

I used Windsor dry yeast.

Bull

Looks good to me based on the limited info presented. If I'm reading you right, you have an original gravity of 1.064. Nothing inherently wrong with that. You did not provide info on the beer style or anything on the hops, so cannot comment on balance or much else. I don't see anything to be alarmed about though.

My only question would be, "why would someone choose to live in NE Ohio?" That's a joke. I'm in SE Ohio. I'd rather be in California though.

Sorry for the limited info.:drunk:

I,ve named the beer All Saints IPA. ( I hope you don't have to be a saint to drink it )

It's a 5 gallon Ale batch. The grain bill / extract is in my OP.

The hops are; 1 oz Columbus 14.2 aa
2 oz Centennial 8.5 aa
3 oz Simcoe 12.2 aa

The Hop additions are; 1oz Columbus @ start of the boil

Mix 1 oz Centennial and 1oz Simcoe. Divide into 5 equal amounts and add 1/5 to the boil @ 20 min, 15 min, 10 min, 5 min and 0 min.

The last 3 oz of hops will be dry hopped in the secondary.

I wasn't sure how to determine the grain bill. My goal was to brew a very hoppy IPA with an ABV somewhere in the range of 7%.

I racked 5.5 gallons to the primary @11:30pm last night and just checked it @7:30 am. Highly active and smells great.:)

NE Ohio is a curse I was born with and my plans will bring me to North Carolina in about 5 years.

I'll enjoy the fall colors for now and pray we don't have 3 feet of snow before I can get the leaves cleaned up.

Bull

Last night I moved from the primary (1.5 weeks)to the secondary. I had about 1/2 gal of trub that was still slowly working.

Gravity reading @ 1.019 so this beer will finish in the 6.5 abv range.

I tasted the hydro sample and it's already very tasty.:) Nicely bitter with alot of citrus tones.

Dry hopped with 2 oz. simcoe and 1oz. centenial.

I'm planning on 2 weeks in the secondary before bottling.

Bull

I bottled this tonight after 10 days in the secondary.

I can't believe my final gravity on this is 1.010.

It smells and tastes great. :ban:

This ended up @

ABV: 7.09%

SRM: 9.01

IBU: 80.58

Sometimes it's better to be luckey than good!

Back