Apfelwiein and Cotes des Blanc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StickyWicket

Reaction score
So, at the risk of outing myself as the noobiest of noobs, I made a batch of apfelwein yesterday afternoon. But due to an error with the online HBS I used, I had to pitch with cotes des blanc instead of the usual Montrechet. Over 24 hours later, I can hear some fizzing going on in that 5 gallon bucket of mine, but no visible airlock activity? :confused:

Should I be worried? Obviously I'll wait it out another few days before repitching, but wondered if anyone had any experience with CDB being a slow starter. I pitched my last cider with Safale S04 and it took off within 12 hours.

I have the exact same thing going on. Don't think it's the yeast, but I used the same one as you. I'm 99% sure I was getting CO2 leaking out the lid rather than the airlock. I checked it after a week and the SG had dropped nicely, so it was fermenting. Just wasn't giving me those satisfying airlock bubbles. :D

Some yeasts take longer to get going. It might have something to do with the pH of the must. As more CO2 dissolves in the water the pH drops somewhat. This might help the yeast get started. It could also be something similar for another chemical though. Perhaps you're just not seeing airlock activity because the CO2 is still dissolving in the water rather than outgassing due to saturation. Don't worry, I always use champagne yeast and mine always turns out great!

If you can smell it, I suspect that the CO2 is escaping in some way. If your bucket was sealed and nothing was coming out of the airlock, then there'd be nothing to smell, AFAIK.

My first batch I used a Bucket with an airlock. I had the same feeling of hopelessness.

I think the bucket lid flex's with the pressure inside. I think this leads us to that false sense that yeasties are not doing their job.

I have switched to glass carboys since
CiderRat

I am having a similar "problem" with the same kind of yeast, CDB. I have my must sitting in a 6 gallon bucket with a tight lid on...no airlock. I am using it as my initial fermenting vessel. I'll then transfer it to my carboy with an airlock. It's been in there now for 24 hours and I came home from work today expecting at least a little bit of foam and I didn't see anything. Hopefully more action by this time tomorrow. :-/

Crisco, man, get an airlock on that thing! Or at the very least wrap a towel over the top of the bucket with the lid cracked. If the lid is open, fruit flies (the bane of my existance) can crawl in and turn it to vinegar.

Back