Little to no carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomman

Reaction score
So I brewed a stout with an OG of 1.082, and an estimated FG of 1.021, but actually ended up with a FG of 1.032. It had been in primary for a month, so I assume anything that was going to happen had happened. I then bottled a gallons worth and racked the rest to secondary to age it on some oak and vanilla.

I bottled the initial gallon with enough sugar to produce 2.0 volumes of pressure and left it for a week to carbonate and today opened the first beer. It was delicious, but with little to no carbonation. So, my question is, whats my next move? Is it possible that I just didnt give the bottles enough time, and that they will eventually carbonate? Maybe I needed to agitate the yeast more before bottling (I bottled straight from the primary bucket before racking)? Maybe I need to pitch more yeast? Any thoughts?

Revvy said:
Yes....

rule of thumb 3 weeks @ 70 minimum....yours is a stout, it may take twice that long...I've had porters and stouts take between 6-8 weeks to come online.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Ditto to that.. :cross:

and at 1.032 this beer was not done by a long shot. Keep on eye on the batch in the secondary..it should be much lower for the FG......

Jay

Back