Too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardoor

Reaction score
I brewed this kit last week. I came with a 1lb bag of priming sugar. I've always bottled with 5oz packages so I was a little surprised. The instructions that come with the kit are general and not specific to the kit. I'm assuming that the kit wanted me to put in all the dextrose except for what is needed for bottling. My OG did come in a bit lower than expected but I chalked that up to insufficient mixing for the sample. So here comes the questions.

If I add the whole 1 lb of dextrose will I for sure have bottle bombs? (I'm assuming I would)

Can I add 11oz of dextrose to the fermenter right now (one week old) with no ill effects and save the remaining for bottling? If I do go this route how do I measure out 5oz of corn sugar since I do not have access to a scale currently?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm still a noob, but I wouldn't add any dextrose to the fermenter right now, only right before bottling. It's my understanding that 3/4 cup is a pretty good approximation of 5 oz dextrose. Use that for bottling and save the rest for a future batch.

I'm quite sure you'll have bottle bombs if you use the whole pound.

Back