is there a difference...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clm

Reaction score
For my latest brew (Irish Red Ale) the recipe called for Roast Barley.
I'm pretty sure my LHBS gave me Roasted Malt...
is there a difference or are they the same thing.
have I just brewed another brown ale?
:drunk:

Besides "Special Roast," (and perhaps "Rostmalt") I can't think of a malt with the word "roast" in it. Maybe you did get RB?
EDIT: Scratch that. BeerAlchemy has a listing for "Australian Roasted Malt" at 610L....

seems they are the same thing...haven't found anything that says otherwise???

ok, so it's not the same thing...roast barley is unmalted...roasted malt is:eek: duh!

now here's the question...as the brew is still actively fermenting, can i add some to the brew?
I'm pretty unhappy with my LHBS, but more so myself for not pointing it out to them...

turns out it's just going to be another pretty ordinary brown ale, when i wanted to make a nice Irish red ale!

I would just leave your brew alone if it's already fermenting... Don't worry, they are both going to give you the same color, but the malt will give you a slightly less bitter taste than black unmalted barley...

The primary reason you are using roast barley is to adjust the color of beer to get that reddish tone and to add dryness to the finish... it should have been a low quantity used anyways so I think you are going to brew a good batch of beer...

it should have been a low quantity used anyways so I think you are going to brew a good batch of beer...

yeah it was a low quantity, 50 grams...

Gaeilge dearg leann

23 Litres

Ingredients
1. 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
2. 500g Light Dry Malt
3. 100g Crystal Malt
4. 50g Roasted Barley
5. Yeast under the lid &/or Safale us04

& yes it should turn out nice!:rockin:

Back