6.5 gal bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was concerned my Doppel Weizen wasn't fermenting, because of no bubbles after 36 hours. Low and behold it finally started bubbling, but I'm sure air and gas is escaping throw the crack between bucket and lid.

Should the lack of air tightness be a concern? I'm not that anal I think contamination could happen, but I'm just curious. Is it time for me to graduate to a better primary?

Your fine. Contamination can only happen by airborne Bactria or wild yeast.

The fact you had the lid on makes this unlikely.

Snap the lid closed if you can if not don't sweat you'll still have good beer.:D

Air tight isn't really a requirement for primary because the yeast is actively pushing O2 out with CO2. You really just need something to keep wild yeast, dust and cats from falling into the fermentor.

If/when you secondary you'll need to look at air tight storage because of the lack of CO2 production.

Remember, you should never use a cheap chinese plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, nothing more, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...

The only gauge of fermentaion is your hydrometer. And it's too soon to worry about it. You didn't happen top notice this sticky when you were posting your question did you, it kinda sums ups what's going on https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-start-43635/

Just trust that the yeasts have been doing this for over 2,000 years, they are the experts at this, not you, and they don't need you messing with them when they are trying to do their jobs.

If CO2 is getting out through anywhere, like the airlock, a bad seal, the gap in the gromment, Nothing can get in. You can't have one of the other...Co2 pushes O2 and microorganisms out...

Besides it's really really hard to ruin your beer, especially if you are a new brewer...
SO,

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Come back in a week, or two, or 4 and everything will be well...

I wasn't worried about the yeast. I've made a couple drinkable batches. Just wondering if these carboys people speak of work better as primaries. I guess not...

Back