Potency of Cacao Nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
hi
made a chocolate stout where the recipe called for adding cacao nibs last 10 minutes of the boil. i strained them out on the advice of a friend before primary fermentation.
then i started second guessing myself and I boiled the nibs in some water to sanitize and put in an ball jar.
it has been sitting in this for about two weeks and the water is dark and brown.

I was thinking about adding this and some coffee to the secondary and am not sure whether i should just put the cacao soup liquid or if i should put the whole thing.
i guess my real question is how much potency and flavor resides in a the nibs after being boiled and then soaked for 2 weeks.
does soaking get any of the flavor out?
i am a little worried about it being too bitter.

i tasted a nib and it tastes kinda like a nut. some bitterness but not a lotta chocolate flavor.

Hey,
Back in early February I bottled a Belgian dark, to which I added 2 oz. cocoa nibs to secondary for 14 days. There was a fairly noticeable warm cocoa flavor/aroma contribution in the sample at bottling. I drank one yesterday (3 months later) to check carbonation, and the cocoa has mellowed a bit and mixed nicely with all other flavored. I did nothing special the cocoa nibs, just placed in secondary fermenter and racked on top, no extra special sanitation (was counting on the existing alcohol in beer to help out here). I have brewed other beers with cocoa nibs, and have never pre-boiled before secondary, I would think that boiling the nibs before hand would produce a mellowed effect.

Back