Pale Ale with Wheat Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blisterman

Reaction score
My two favourite styles of beer are American Pale Ales and German Hefe Weisens.

I'm currently planning my 5th batch of beer. My first two were both American style pale ales. For my third, I tried to make a Hefe Weisen, but I didn't have any wheat beer yeast, so I used ale yeast instead. This was before I found out that it's mostly the yeast that gives hefe weisens their flavour.
So I made up another batch, using same ingredients, but with a wheat yeast, and boy, are they different. The first barely tastes anything like a Hefe Weisen, while the second, which is still fermenting, but I took a sample to taste, is coming along nicely, with a definate hefe weisen flavour.

So I'm now thinking about trying it the other way, making a hoppy American style pale ale, but fermenting it with wheat yeast. Has anyone tried doing this before? How did it turn out? I'm anticipating a flavour of hops mixed with banana/clove flavours.

I'm just interested to know what to expect. I'm eager to experiment and learn new things about designing a beer, so unless someone here warns me that it will taste awful, I'm probably going to go ahead with it.

I'm just interested to know what to expect. I'm eager to experiment and learn new things about designing a beer, so unless someone here warns me that it will taste awful, I'm probably going to go ahead with it.

It doesn't sound very appealing, but I wouldn't let anyone discourage you from trying it out. I'm sure you'll be able to drink 5 gallons of it.

Let us know how it turns out.

I think it would be pretty good. Different, but good. I've been contemplating making a hoppy Hefe.

That's the fun thing with this hobby, you can do stuff that is rarely if ever produced commercially. Let us know how it turns out!! :rockin:

I want to do a double Wit someday, and when I do, I plan to dry hop the living crap out of it. Take that, Hoegaarden! :D

Back