Severely underpitched...help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasert39

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I brewed up a stout, this was my first time using White Labs Yeast. after warming it up and shaking, it fizzed all over (no starter, and ive read old posts, next time ill be ready)

I might have gotten a quarter of the vile's contents into my wort. Here are my options, ride it out and see how it goes or I have a wyeast pack that I could add at any time.

If its best for me to add the new yeast, what is the best way to go about this. I know its only been about 12 hours since i pitched the initial yeast but figured it can hurt to ask and at least be ready. thanks in advance.

Last night I brewed up a stout, this was my first time using White Labs Yeast. after warming it up and shaking, it fizzed all over (no starter, and ive read old posts, next time ill be ready)

I might have gotten a quarter of the vile's contents into my wort. Here are my options, ride it out and see how it goes or I have a wyeast pack that I could add at any time.

If its best for me to add the new yeast, what is the best way to go about this. I know its only been about 12 hours since i pitched the initial yeast but figured it can hurt to ask and at least be ready. thanks in advance.

I would add the Wyeast. I have done it before, and it worked fine!

if you only got ~25% of the vial into the wort, you need to pitch more yeast ASAP.

by the way, don't let this discourage you from using White Labs yeast. They make a great product. What you experienced is an indication of a VERY fresh vial with very active yeast. Next time open it like it's a bottle of coke that you just dropped. Crack the seal and vent a tiny amount of co2, then reseal, let settle, repeat until you can open it.

Back