Yeast Damaged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello

I just received my first order from Brewmasters Warehouse. I ordered a Wyeast Activator pack London III yeast, among other brew gear and grain.

The problem I have is that when I unpacked everything, the yeast pack was "smacked" (I guess during shipment). It had not swelled, but I could tell because I couldnt feel the bladder inside and there was free liquid.

I am going to leave it out and see if it swells then make a starter.

Is there any issues I need to know about? Will the yeast be any good?

P.S.- Brewmasters is great. I ordered on Sunday and received it today. Prices were a tick higher than some other online stores but the low cost of shipping saved me money. Very accurate and prompt.

Smacking the smackpack doesn't actually do anything significant; it is just a trigger to make it clear that the yeast is still viable. That said, are you sure it has already been smacked? There should be liquid in there...that's the yeast. If you can't feel the bladder, though, that might be different. In any case, you're fine. :mug:

Yes I know how smack packs work. It actually contains a nutrient that the yeast use to propagate and multiply. In the process, they produce CO2, which causes the pack to swell.

Yes it was smacked, I compared it to another un smacked pack and there was some swelling.

Make yourself a starter and you have no worries my friend. The smack pack isn't even necessary, but wyeast recommends smacking it. Either way, with a starter you won't be able to tell the difference.

Yes I know how smack packs work. It actually contains a nutrient that the yeast use to propagate and multiply. In the process, they produce CO2, which causes the pack to swell.

Yes it was smacked, I compared it to another un smacked pack and there was some swelling.

Just because there is some swelling in the pack, doesn't mean that the pack has actually been smacked.

See http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=2 question 27.

-a.

Oh good! Then obviously you know that exposure to that nutrient pack does not in any way, shape, or form impact the viability of the yeast. So...wait...what was your question? :D

Back