stupid starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMJ

Reaction score
Should I worry about the temp of my starter. I can leave it at room temp no ac so around mid 80s or higher right now or I could put it in my ferm chamber which is mid 60s right now. It will be on a stir plate if that makes any difference

I've been told that just do the starter at room temp, and once you begin worrying about starter temp you're beginning to worry too much.

Do you plan on decanting the wort off before you pitch? Is it a lager or ale? If it's an ale I flat out wouldn't worry. If you plan to decant I flat out wouldn't worry. If it's a lager and you just want to dump the entire thing in your wort I may be tempted to worry.

I've been told that just do the starter at room temp, and once you begin worrying about starter temp you're beginning to worry too much.

Do you plan on decanting the wort off before you pitch? Is it a lager or ale? If it's an ale I flat out wouldn't worry. If you plan to decant I flat out wouldn't worry. If it's a lager and you just want to dump the entire thing in your wort I may be tempted to worry.

Its an ale WLP 400. I plan on decanting a couple times actually to step it up.

I wonder if the decant is necessary with a step up. I have done both methods and I got 73% attenuation with a recent lager by topping off my starter.

What is your OG?

I wonder if the decant is necessary with a step up. I have done both methods and I got 73% attenuation with a recent lager by topping off my starter.

What is your OG?

I dont have a big enough vessel to make the starter without stepping up. My 2L flask doesnt cut it for 10gal batches

I dont have a big enough vessel to make the starter without stepping up. My 2L flask doesnt cut it for 10gal batches

You could make the starter in the bottom of your fermenter and step up w/o a decant and pitch directly onto that? I am trying that method next.

Your current set up is certainly a logistical challenge. Someone with more expertise would have to assist.

Back