Brown Ale FG Too High?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffeeandBourbon

Reaction score
I just moved my brown ale from my primary to secondary after 9 days. Started out at 1055 and is now 1020. Will it continue to fall over the next two weeks in the seconday? Is 1020 too high? I've never done a brown ale. (Taste pretty good though). Thanks!

I am researching a Brown Ale for one of my next recipes. Most of the final gravities I have seen are anywhere from 1.009 - 1.015, but have seen some as high as 1.020.

I would wait a few more weeks but I would think it would drop more.

I had a brown ale kit for my first batch. The FG never went below 1.019 after 4 weeks so I went ahead and bottled. I am enjoying it now and it is delicious.

Just my personal experience, I am by no means an expert.

Most brown ales should be in the 1.012 area. What sort of brewing do you do and what was the recipe.

I doubt it will fall any further - maybe a little but I've never moved a beer to a secondary after 9 days - I always go 2 weeks and the least.

It was a beer kit from the LHBS so I am not sure of the exact ingredients. It had about 2 lbs grains that I did a partial mash with and then 7 lbs of light LME. Looks like there is nothing I can do now, so I am not going to worry about it and just enjoy the beer. :)

A rule of thumb on FG's as related to OG's:

In this example above the OG was 1.055, take the last 2 numbers and divide by four 55/4=13.75 so this beer should finish at "around" 1.013-1.014.

A rule of thumb on FG's as related to OG's:

In this example above the OG was 1.055, take the last 2 numbers and divide by four 55/4=13.75 so this beer should finish at "around" 1.013-1.014.

This is true but you must add the word "unless" to the the end of it. i.e. The FG would be 1.013 - 1.014 "unless" then there are like 5 - 10 different factors which would have an effect on FG. Things like age of extract, type of grains, temp of mash, length of mash, length of boil, type of yeast, temp of fermentation, etc.

Your OG puts you near the top of the American Brown Style and the FG is reasonable. If your yeast was Windsor, that's as much as you'll get. Most browns are small beers, OG in the 1.030-1.045 range.

Back