Just an observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
In a completely dark and silent house at 3 A.M.......A bubbling airlock is REALLY loud.

I have a buddy that hunted all over his house (large house 5 bathrooms) looking for a water drip. He finally realized it was his three piece airlock.

If my fermentation is vigorous enough, the star san in my airlock will start foaming and the air rushing through the foam in the tiny holes on top of the three piece airlock makes a high pitched whistling noise. Really freaked me out the first time I heard that coming from my closet.

Really freaked me out the first time I heard that coming from my closet.

Kind of like the evil monkey in Chris's closet (from "Family Guy") :)

I've stopped using StarSan in my airlocks for this very reason.

To OP, why not get a cheap box fan to make some white noise? I got one to block out the noise of my ANNOYING neighbors (constant yelling and piano playing) and I can't live without it now.

it-came-from-outer-space-07.jpg

IT CAME...FROM THE CLOSET!

:D

Bob

Aw, go give your yeasties a hug! They deserve it for working so hard!

I tend to think of the bubbling like a babbling brook, something that sounds pleasing and relaxing...

though I guess if one was curious about a unknown sound it would drive them crazy.

Imagine when 10 of them are going. I had 10 carboys full of wine last year and it was like the Symphony Orchestra.

Back