Preventing Boilovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killinger

Reaction score
I saw in the latest Zymurgy that a fan mounted or otherwise angled at the top of the wort will slow or prevent a boilover. I searched here to see if anyone else had this bright idea (smacking myself in the forehead, say it with me, "Why didn't I think of that?" Well, seems the good people here are split on it. Others, I see, recommend tossing stainless nuts into the boil to facilitate nucleation. Others squirt water on the boil as it threatens to go over. Others simmer. Others say get a bigger kettle already. OK.

I have a fan. I thought about getting some nuts (hee-hee), but thought of another idea. I have an extra set of silverware in the basement. Could I throw a few forks (stainless steel) in the boil? Would accomplish the same as a a handful of stainless nuts and bolts? I can't say I fully understand the physics of this anyway.

Can someone enlighten me?

The advantage the nuts and bolts have over silverware is they have much more surface area for their size and are less smooth - all the threading adds lots off places for propagation of little bubbles.

Here is an easier solution; next time just drop a few (2-3) clear glass marbles in the bottom of your brew pot before boiling and you wont have to worry about boil overs. The marbles move around much better than bolts/nuts and actually do a decent job of preventing scorching. And NO they wont explode or leach chemicals into your wort.

Cheers, :)

Note that the fan method will cause a greater volume to be boiled off. I'm not saying it will be a huge difference, but the greater the air movement at the surface of the boil, the more water gets boiled off.

I just use a hose with mist/spray (drinking water safe RV hose).

+1 on this...

5987.jpg

I can fill to nearly an inch on my stove top pot and quite high in my turkey fryer kettle, get a full boil going and take a nap between hop additions with NO worries about boilover.

One of the best things I have ever used.

Back