Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I use:
6.0 lbs two row

2.0 lbs corn

1.0 lbs rice

.60 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)

.50 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

Not much has changed. This recipe is as good as when it was first posted, no improvement need.

Excellent! Thanks very much. Do you do the 90 min boil as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed a variation of this recipe a few weeks back with just a minor tweaking of the recipe. It scored a 45 at a local BJCP competition this past weekend, with a national ranked judge giving it a 46. Their only critique was that it was toward the high side of the style for IBUs. In case you were wondering, this is a really nice recipe to make and even better to drink.

I'm actually pretty excited, first batch of this should be carbed any time now

When I brewed it last summer the last beer I drank was the best one. About 3 months after bottling. Its next on my to brew list for this year

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

My next brew after this is going to be a cheap hard lemonade made with off brand lemonade concentrates. Would the yeast cake from this taste taste ok in that?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Probably. Cider is where my yeast goes to die a lot of the time, I imagine lemonade is close enough.

My next brew after this is going to be a cheap hard lemonade made with off brand lemonade concentrates. Would the yeast cake from this taste taste ok in that?

If your talking Skeeter Pee your better off using wine yeast for full attenuation.

I would listen to fuzzy if complete attenuation is what you want. I use a bunch of hot mashed malt and make Graff when I say I'm doing cider. Back sweetening just seems too complicated when you're bottle carbing.

Honestly I'm just looking for something cheap to use the yeast on and lemonade sounded good. I don't really like sweet beverages but being lemonade a little sweetness would be ok. The plan was to keg all ten gallons of this beer and dry hop one of the kegs and then bottle the lemonade but if it is an issue I could always bottle half the beer and keg the lemonade.

I thought about that as well. Also I have a bunch of odds and ends of different hops so I thought about doing a single malt with all my random hops in it to use them up

I had to look up skeeter pee, what I was going to do is a little different with frozen lemonade and limeade concentrate.

I thought about that as well. Also I have a bunch of odds and ends of different hops so I thought about doing a single malt with all my random hops in it to use them up

Picked up 6 lbs of domestic 2 row, 2 lbs of flaked corn, 1 lb of minute rice, an oz of willamette, and an oz of crystal hops. Plan on doing a five gallon brew on Sunday. Are y'all using 1.25 quarts per lb of grain or 1 quart per lb of grain? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Being my first all grain I used a strike temp calculator that ended up being way off and I had to add more hotter water to get my mash temp up and that screwed up my sparging amount. My original plan was 1.5 but like I said this was my first all grain and I really didn't know what was best.

Picked up 6 lbs of domestic 2 row, 2 lbs of flaked corn, 1 lb of minute rice, an oz of willamette, and an oz of crystal hops. Plan on doing a five gallon brew on Sunday. Are y'all using 1.25 quarts per lb of grain or 1 quart per lb of grain? Thanks!

I mash on the thinner side. But you'll be fine with either 1.25 or 1.5 it's the temp that makes most of the difference. If you have a small mash tun, go with 1.25. Just make sure you have room to add more hot water if you need to bring your temp up.

Being my first all grain I used a strike temp calculator that ended up being way off and I had to add more hotter water to get my mash temp up and that screwed up my sparging amount. My original plan was 1.5 but like I said this was my first all grain and I really didn't know what was best.

Did you preheat your mash tun or take that into account in the calculation? You'll lose a lot of heat if you don't.

No I didn't. I will next time though. All in all my first all grain seems to have turned out ok (won't know for sure until it's done if course) but I definition learned a few things for next time.

It will not be a issue . i have had my temp off several times . Grain being cold and the like . As long as you get it up there to 148 or so you will be fine . I just drained some off and tossed it on the stove to get it hot and poured it back in .
As long as you did not add in too much water and end up with a very thin wort . It is better to just drain off and reheat than to add additional water .
If it gets too thin because you used too much water in your mash then boiling off some water before adding in your hops will take care of that problem .

might add in here that way too much water in your mash would probably have a bad effect on your beer but I would have no idea what or how much too much is . That is a question for some member that has knowledge about water profiles and mashing .

I mash on the thinner side. But you'll be fine with either 1.25 or 1.5 it's the temp that makes most of the difference. If you have a small mash tun, go with 1.25. Just make sure you have room to add more hot water if you need to bring your temp up.

Did you preheat your mash tun or take that into account in the calculation? You'll lose a lot of heat if you don't.

I always preheat my mash tun with near boiling water to prevent the drop in temp. I use a ten gallon water cooler with a false bottom. I take a temp check of my grain as well so I can make sure the strike water is exactly where it should be. This method has yet to fail me even in my winter time brews. Thanks!

No I didn't. I will next time though. All in all my first all grain seems to have turned out ok (won't know for sure until it's done if course) but I definition learned a few things for next time.

As StoutNoDoubt stated, this is the process to use. But keep in mind there is need to go near boiling with the pre heating in a cooler. As a matter of fact, you shouldn't. You can, and will, warp the plastic lining in your cooler. This will eventually cause it to crack over time too.

Get a thermapen if you can afford to. Use a calculator to get the recommended strike temp. Transfer your strike volume to your tun hotter than your target temp. The amount depends on some factors. This takes some practice to get a feel of. What I mean is you need to take into account any heat loss during the transfer (if you pump or gravity feed, the travel through the hoses and pump will lose temp) but if you pump, circulate the water for min first.

You also have to take into account how long you'll stir, how cold it is outside... Etc. I generally try. To land 2 to 3 degrees higher, so I can lose that temp while I stir my mash

So for example a target of 148 for the mash and a recommended temp of 155 before the grain goes in. I might go to 170 let it sit with the lid on to heat up. Then I'll open the lid and stir the water to get it down to about 158. I'm usually dead on every time—especially now that I have a thermapen.

Giving this a go today. Recipe will be;
5.5lb 2 row
2 lb. flaked corn
3/4 lb. minute rice

.33 oz Pacific Jade hops @ 14.2 AA for 60 minutes.

I was going to pitch this on a Notty slurry but I have found that my Wyeast 1056 Amarican Ale yeast smack pack is swollen up in my fridge.
I use a BOP and mash in my oven, just keeping it warm enough to maintain temps, and I will aim for a 148 to 150 temp for 90 minutes, wanting this to be VERY clean.
Any comments on my yeast choice or mashing temps are welcome. If you think I can do better some how please let me know.

Thanks, Dave

5.5lb 2 row

2 lb. flaked corn

3/4 lb. minute rice

I was going to pitch this on a Notty slurry but I have found that my Wyeast 1056 Amarican Ale yeast smack pack is swollen up in my fridge.

I use a BOP and mash in my oven, just keeping it warm enough to maintain temps, and I will aim for a 148 to 150 temp for 90 minutes, wanting this to be VERY clean.

Any comments on my yeast choice or mashing temps are welcome. If you think I can do better some how please let me know.

Thanks, Dave

I'm making this one as well. It's in the mash tun as we speak. I'm just following the regular recipe but a 5 gallon version. Cheers!

5.5lb 2 row
2 lb. flaked corn
3/4 lb. minute rice

Thanks, Dave
A bittering hop in this ?
This beer is going to take on a flavor real quick . It is very light . Imagine putting your hops into a bud light . Well , a bud with some flavor anyway .
spicy pepper flavor may not go well with the corn flavor this has . the citrus flavor may go well .
I guess it just depends on what you like to drink

A bittering hop in this ?
This beer is going to take on a flavor real quick . It is very light . Imagine putting your hops into a bud light . Well , a bud with some flavor anyway .
spicy pepper flavor may not go well with the corn flavor this has . the citrus flavor may go well .
I guess it just depends on what you like to drink

I kinda thought the idea of a 60 minute boil was just for a bittering purpose. Kinda like a fake lager beer.
I have on hand;
Centenial
Delta
Celia
Czech Saaz
Warrior
Fuggles.
German Northern Brewer.

Any suggestions?

Just my thoughts, I would go with Saaz myself or Centennial as my second choice

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I plan on dry hopping five gallons of my ten gallon batch with Williamette.
Does anyone have an opinion on that, or how much to dry hop with?

I brewed this one last Sunday and used us05 yeast with it. It developed a surprisingly big head of krausen on it and is fermenting steadily at around 65 degrees. Can't wait to try it!

this is a favorite of many of my friends so i have done around 50gal this past year.

Has anyone tried to use a lager yeast? how did it turn out? i was thinking of trying a cali common type yeast and ferment it below 60F.

Tasted a sample of this while transferring to secondary. Totally has a corn taste to it. I'm hoping it settles out some. I know it's too early to tell since it will change flavor wise over the next couple of weeks.

Tasted a sample of this while transferring to secondary. Totally has a corn taste to it. I'm hoping it settles out some. I know it's too early to tell since it will change flavor wise over the next couple of weeks.

why secondary it ? I go from grain to glass with this recipe in 14 days and it is a good brew

but I keg it

S_M

this is a favorite of many of my friends so i have done around 50gal this past year.

Has anyone tried to use a lager yeast? how did it turn out? i was thinking of trying a cali common type yeast and ferment it below 60F.

On my last batch I pulled off a couple gallons to ferment with bavarian lager yeast. Haven't tasted it yet. Lagering now in a keg. Will report back soon.

Just had to say that I've brewed this four times in the past year, and it is always a hit with anyone who has tried it. I have a keg carbonating with sugar right now in my fermentation freezer at 65 degrees. First time using sugar in a keg but it is in the pipeline.

I also wanted to say that with 14 oz. of generic minute rice per 5.5 gallon batch my batches always come out to 6% ABV. A little higher than the original but everyone still loves it. I guess my efficiency is a little higher than needed but anyone who tries it says not to change a thing.

Great job BM, and thank you for sharing.

At two weeks my gravity was 1.030 last Saturday at three weeks it was 1.021 I'm hoping I will hit my target fg this weekend and keg it. My og was a little high because I added a little extra rice and I'm also fermenting around 65° just because that's what my basement is right now.

My FG on this was 1.0008. It bubbled away for 7 days. Thought it would never end lol. Very large yeast cake when it was done. I transfer to secondary to help clear it up and less risk of clouding the beer with yeast when I go to rack it to keg.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Home Brew mobile app

Back